Discussion

Chairs in Diwan Hall..!!!

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Re: Chairs in Diwan Hall..!!!

Postby drdln on Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:51 am

vikramjit gurufateh singh wrote:Gurmukh is a title that Sangath confers on you. As for Manmukh if a Sikh feels a person has the traits of a Manmukh ...

Gurmukh is spiritually/God oriented, Manmukh is self oriented/fanatic, IMHO.
drdln
Active Forum User

Postby vikramjit gurufateh singh on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:09 pm

Fateh Ji,

One who follows Guruji's message cannot be a fanatic. And that is why Gursikhs are called Gursikhs because we learn from Guruji.

We do not mix and match religion to suit our personal likes and dislikes.

Guru de smath
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Postby lakwinder singh on Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:32 pm

<<<<Gurmukh is spiritually/God oriented, Manmukh is self oriented/fanatic, IMHO.drdln
>>>>

In sikhism Gurmukh is that who follows Guru or submits his/her wisdom to Guru.Gurbani says

The three qualities of Maya hold people in worldly attachment.
The Gurmukh attains the Fourth State of: Self-realization

Ang 30,sggs 30

Can you let us us know what is that fourth state Gurbani is referring to.
lakwinder singh
Active Forum User

Postby bachittar on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:16 pm

Dear Sikh Brothers and Sisters,

Guru Fateh.

Sikhi is personal. If people have a problem medically they can make a decision to sit on the floor or on the chair as they feel best. No body should be acting as a go in between a Sikh and his Guru, Guru Granth Sahib. I feel none of us should be making decisions for others. In Sikhism we have a one on one relationship between a Sikh and his or her Guru. There is no need for an agent to act between the two.

People in Gurdwara provide a place of assembly where we can go to meet the Guru and seek his blessing. If we are not careful we will next be making rules for every action in the Gurdwara including the proper way to bow to the Guru.

The fewer the rules the better. Let peoples own maryada rule.

I know of one person who was told that he had to sit on a chair outside the Diwan Hall and could not be allowed to sit on a chair/ bench inside. He has bad knees and walks with a cane with great difficulty. He no longer goes to Gurdwara.

One Canadian perspective
bachittar
New User

Postby drdln on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:37 pm

lakwinder singh wrote:<<<<Gurmukh is spiritually/God oriented, Manmukh is self oriented/fanatic, IMHO.drdln
>>>>

In sikhism Gurmukh is that who follows Guru or submits his/her wisdom to Guru.Gurbani says

The three qualities of Maya hold people in worldly attachment.
The Gurmukh attains the Fourth State of: Self-realization

Ang 30,sggs 30

Can you let us us know what is that fourth state Gurbani is referring to.

I don't see any relationship between these posts and chairs in diwan hall. This is my last reply unless something new is given. The whole book on [url]" Science, religion and spirituality"[/url] is about self-realization and cites appropriate quotes from gurbani and other sources.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142411 ... F8&seller=
drdln
Active Forum User

Postby lakwinder singh on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:43 pm

<<<<<I don't see any relationship between these posts and chairs in diwan hall. This is my last reply unless something new is given. The whole book on [url]" Science, religion and spirituality"[/url] is about self-realization and cites appropriate quotes from gurbani and other sources.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142411 ... F8&seller=drdln >>>>>

You were talking in terms of Gurmukhs and manmukhs.Once you go to that concept,fourth state is definitely applicable.
Science does deal only with first state.Science has nothing to do with spiritualism.

Let us debate this here.Please do not go away.
lakwinder singh
Active Forum User

Postby vikramjit gurufateh singh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:18 am

Fateh Ji,

I don't see any relationship between these posts and chairs in diwan hall. This is my last reply unless something new is given. The whole book on [url]" Science, religion and spirituality"[/url] is about self-realization and cites appropriate quotes from gurbani and other sources.

I feel if one is to peruse this thread one will be able to gauge where and when this thread has digressed. And I think wrong interpretation of Bani and quotes form other sources is worrying. As a Sikh when I have my Guru why should I look at other sources?

God Bless and take care
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Postby bachittar on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:44 am

I posted an opinion but have not seen it published. I have also not had the courtesy of an email to explain why my posting has not appeared. Am

i missing something?

I hope we do not support just one viewpoint?

Concerned
bachittar
New User

Postby Manjit_S1ngh on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:31 am

lakwinder singh wrote:<<<<<I don't see any relationship between these posts and chairs in diwan hall. This is my last reply unless something new is given. The whole book on [url]" Science, religion and spirituality"[/url] is about self-realization and cites appropriate quotes from gurbani and other sources.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/142411 ... F8&seller=drdln >>>>>

You were talking in terms of Gurmukhs and manmukhs.Once you go to that concept,fourth state is definitely applicable.
Science does deal only with first state.Science has nothing to do with spiritualism.

Let us debate this here.Please do not go away.

I am also interested in knowing drdln’s views on what Lakhwinder Singh has invited him to express.
As he (drdln) has expressed the views that the present thread may not be a proper one for that discussion and not related to the topic, so if he is willing, he can open another thread where it can be addressed without drifting into the topic of “Chair in Diwan Hall”

Perhaps he can also elaborate on what he means by "spirituality" and "spiritualism" with respect to the view of the world in Sikh religion - Not just the quotes from the dictionary. ( I am trying to understand those terms, as drdln is using in quite a few of his posts ).
I express my thanks in advance and look forward to his starting the new thread.
Manjit_S1ngh
New User

Postby sherapanjab on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:47 am

If an individual is not physically able to sit down on the floor - then they should be allowed to sit on a chair. Some Gurdwara's in the UK do not allow this whilst others place the chairs at the back so that others view is not obstructed.

Why should anyone deny a person the right to listen to Gurbani in god's home.

I feel the same should apply to wheelchair bound users - they SHOULD NOT be banned from any Gurdwara.
sherapanjab
New User

PreviousNext

Return to General Sikhi Discussion