Come to Gurdwara in shorts

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Come to Gurdwara in shorts

Postby dhillot » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:07 pm

Sat Shri Akal, Now there is summer season. I saw many young boys wearing shorts, come to Gurdwara. Even some fathers also come to Gurdwara in shorts. Some young boys come in shorts with hairy legs. Is this respectful or is this proper attire to come to Gurdwara.
Thanks
dhillot
New User

Re: Come to Gurdwara in shorts

Postby Jaybee » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:13 am

Sorry I haven't replied to this earlier, I don't know about the Gurudwara (I am not a Sikh), but I remember last year asking a few Sikhs why they wore long trousers during very hot weather last year in the UK. Apparently there is no regulation in your faith stating that you must keep your legs covered (only your head hair and I would assume, the genital area too).

One Sikh I asked theorised that it was probably more a East Vs West issue, apparently shorts in India are worn generally by poorer men and labourers, wheras good trousers are a sign of wealth. Of course, we in the West do not see shorts as a sign of financial status, only good weather, and they are worn regardless of wealth.

We in the UK have had a very poor summer so far, so although I am about to head off for lunch at the local Gurudwara, I do not expect to see any shorts. I will ask a few of the congregation for you if they permit shorts.

Though (again) I cannot speak for Sikhism, I can confirm that most Churches permit shorts worn by by men up to halfway up the thighs, and by women just below the knees. Anything higher would be frowned upon, and wearing 'Daisy Duke' shorts, which expose the entire leg from ankle to hips, would risk the lady being asked to go home and change into something less revealing before coming back.
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Postby swarn bains » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:35 am

remember free lunch at gurdwara is for those who, either do some worthwhile service or contribution, for the poor, and in olden days it used to be for the travellers who did not get to eat. for those who just want to go there just to eat. remember
in this world or the next; there is nothing free. so remember if u go there just to eat then you will pay the price sooner or later.
swarn bains
Power User

Postby VeeruS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:12 am

You probably seen some of the Bhais in Kachhehras not covering their legs entirely.

So, I am not if covering their legs entirely is an issue, although there could be an issue with disrespectful.
VeeruS
Power User

Postby Jaybee » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:25 am

swarn bains wrote:remember free lunch at gurdwara is for those who, either do some worthwhile service or contribution, for the poor, and in olden days it used to be for the travellers who did not get to eat. for those who just want to go there just to eat. remember
in this world or the next; there is nothing free. so remember if u go there just to eat then you will pay the price sooner or later.

Nope. I also wonder whether your fellow Sikhs also believe in life being a series of transactions. However, what does your post have to do with the wearing of shorts in your Gurdwara?

I asked several people today; there is no prescription in the religion forbidding shorts within the temple, however anything higher up than midway between ankle and knee for men is seen as disrespectful by the elders, as is anything above the ankle for women.
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Postby khak dware di » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Shorts, kachera, are actually a requirement of the Khalsa. The Kachera are one of the 5 K's. There is no requierment of wearing anything over the Kachera. In your local Gurdwara, if you have seen any Nihangs, you will notice that they wear only a kachera under their shirt and not pajamas or a salwar.
khak dware di
New User

Postby drdln » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:32 pm

dhillot wrote:.. Some young boys come in shorts with hairy legs. .Thanks

So does Nihang Singh and other initiated sikhs-khalsa. Kachhera, one of the five Ks is pretty much similar to shorts in terms of covering the legs. Hope it helps.
"The real purpose of religion is spirituality.
Religious wars are creation of fanatics!"
--Science,Religion& Spirituality
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=18&y=18
drdln
Power User

Postby Jagjot » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Actually if you notice the Nihang Singhs, they wear the “Kachera” (which is upto the knees) along with a long shirt which covers the legs upto middle of the shin (between the knee and the ankle) so when they sit, the long shirt covers the legs completely.
Jagjot
New User

Postby ANewSikhSister » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:40 am

swarn bains wrote:remember free lunch at gurdwara is for those who, either do some worthwhile service or contribution, for the poor, and in olden days it used to be for the travellers who did not get to eat. for those who just want to go there just to eat. remember

Can I please hear some other Sikhs opinion on this? I mean, obviously I don't think people should take advantage of langar in a selfish way, but it was my understanding that it is open to anyone
“The world is a drama, staged in a dream”
― Guru Nanak, Sri Guru Granth Sahib
ANewSikhSister
New User

Postby Gaganjeet » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:57 am

@allnewsikhsister Sangat is important part of Sikh religion. It not only gives opportunity for doing seva but also binds together the community as a whole. Sangat is what Guruji emphasised on and sangat parts important part of a Sikh community. The doors are open for anyone and everyone.
Guru Amardas ji refused to meet emperor Akbar unless he ate langar. Langar was the most revolutionary step taken by Guruji to wipe out cast system. Earlier upper cast Hindus ate first and then the lower class were served the leftovers and were even told to eat in the same soiled plates. Till today there is one temple where lower cast people roll over the paper plates in which the brahmins have eaten food to wash their sins.
Since food is a basic necessity, guruji made it compulsory for everyone to eat and that too in the same place (on the floor), same food served by anybody.

Regarding the shorts, Sikhism is very accepting and open idea. There are no such restrictions. Basic concept is to do sirman and seva.
Gaganjeet
Active Forum User

Next

Return to Sikhi Discussion