swimming by amitdhari

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

swimming by amitdhari

Postby rubinder kaur » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:47 am

Sat sri akal to evyone
I would like to know what should a male or female do after taking amrit if one wants to continue with swimming? Kirpan & kachera r not to be removed so wht shall one do while swimming so that hè/she maintains the maryada too?
Kindly suggest.
rubinder kaur
New User

Re: swimming by amitdhari

Postby swarn bains » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:31 pm

amrit is a discipline. it should not be a hindrance. so remove it and swim.
swarn bains
Power User

Postby deepharn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:34 pm

This is simple:

Wear them and swim. My understanding is that many sikh Gurus knew swimming as also did the Tenth Master. So what are you shy of?

There are many ways to do it and you should be able to devise a comfortable way for yourself. I have seen young children, even in foreign countries, swim with all their esentials. So, go ahead.

Thanks
deepharn
Power User

Postby drdln » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:51 pm

Over 300 years old traditions are not practical and are outdated to carry in modern world, whether swimming or airline travel. We need to make some adjustments. I think, a small kirpan that used to be stuck in wooden comb can be used and kachha (under-wear) can be made from swimming costume cloth. That's all I can think. May be others can provide better solution.
"The real purpose of religion is spirituality.
Religious wars are creation of fanatics!"
--Science,Religion& Spirituality
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=18&y=18
drdln
Power User

Postby charandhoor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Dear ,
I should mention I am not amritdhari, so my opinion should be viewed/read as such.

I would like to add what others have said already ...what will your action be if Guruji themselves tell you to remove your amritdhari icons and go do your swimming. Your SIKHI should be freedom from entanglements not a Hindrance..Please no offense to anybody, but 5 kakars are very much a part of our lifestyle..ask yourself does an amritdhari doctor choose to remove his kaara to operate rather than refuse to operate citing his inability to remove his kara because it is our kakaar.

Guru ji gave us kakaars, but more so provided us with vision to make the right decisions.
charandhoor
Active Forum User

Postby cirrus » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:04 am

Wearing all essentials during swimming is very much possible and i have seen people practicing it...
The other day i even saw a colleague in the pool and he had a full janao on while he was confidently swimming....
Hindu religion is thousands of years old.... and some one above suggested that in 300 years customs become outdated....
And i feel there is a way to keep everthing properly even while swimming.
cirrus
Active Forum User

Postby rubinder kaur » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:22 am

Sat sri akal
I thank everyone for ur replies. Swarn ji u advised to remove it and swim but won't it lead to showing disrespect to the ks? According to another advice that i got we should keep wearing them while swimming so won't that also lead to disrespect as putting kirpan in pool water where so many r swimming and is not so clean would be not a good thing to do. And its not practical too to swim with kirpan on our body. Pls help me come out of this confusion. One more thing i would like to ask is whether a sikh amritdhari girl can wear swimmimg costume unhesitatingly?
rubinder kaur
New User

Postby charandhoor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:08 am

cirrus ji,

with all respect, this is the Tragedy of our culture...misinterpretation and misrepresentation all the time...I never ever mentioned its old so get rid of it....please do not put words in other mouths...everybody is adult and as per my tiny understanding, Guru granth sahib is to be consulted on this..

talking about janeo while swimming, pandits misled and misrepresented the world for ages and still do so...janeo does not represent gatra...please dont compare a caste based ritual to "manas ki zaat sabey eko pehchaanbo"

can one put their siri sahib in pee-water in the swimming pool, it is grave disrespect to the bringer-of-grace.
charandhoor
Active Forum User

Postby Dr.Kaur » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:45 am

SSA
The sikhs who swim tie their kirpan on their head, if you are so particular about wearing it all the time may be you can wear a smaller size. For some one who has embraced Khalsa life style this should not be an issue at all. Being a Khalsa needs a lot of courage I mean you should not be scared of what others will think. if you think the pool water is dirty for kirpan, it is dirty for you too. I don't think you will disrespect Ks by wearing them in your daily routine, you would be honouring ur commitment to Khalsa panth by wearing them in you routine, in every activity without feeling conscious or shy.
I know this requires a lot of courage and i did not have it that's why I could not become a Khalsa, but you have the courage to walk this path so just keep it up!
Dr.Kaur
Active Forum User

Postby TyrantStryker » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:54 am

Wear under wetsuit, problem solved.

TyrantStryker
Active Forum User

Next

Return to Sikhi Discussion