I am Losing Faith in Sikhi and God

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Re: I am Losing Faith in Sikhi and God

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:02 am

,Virji i think that when we meditate nd we try to learn nd undrstnd gurbani we get every questns answrs in gurbani bt the thng is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Postby AS Khalsa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 am

VeeruS wrote:You can say that there is a God and there is a Creator, meaning that God and The Creator are separate or you can say that God is just part of The Creation just as you and I are part of The Creation.

It doesn't matter how you say it, the fact is that God is not same as The Creator as God is simply our own perception of The Creator.

Being united with God is simply finding a state of stability from within. It does not mean becoming one with The Creator. It could mean that we have somehow attained the ability to accept His will, basically meaning every thing that happens in this world.

And is there a benefit to this 'ability?
AS Khalsa
Power User

Postby AS Khalsa » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:30 am

We are all open-minded people here, I assure you, your comments will not be met with incredible opposition.
AS Khalsa
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:18 am

Religion and and Godly path are two different paths?!; that is why i do not want to comment any more
swarn bains
Power User

Postby VeeruS » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:33 am

AS Khalsa wrote:
VeeruS wrote:You can say that there is a God and there is a Creator, meaning that God and The Creator are separate or you can say that God is just part of The Creation just as you and I are part of The Creation.

It doesn't matter how you say it, the fact is that God is not same as The Creator as God is simply our own perception of The Creator.

Being united with God is simply finding a state of stability from within. It does not mean becoming one with The Creator. It could mean that we have somehow attained the ability to accept His will, basically meaning every thing that happens in this world.

And is there a benefit to this 'ability?

I would say that this "ability" is equivalent to being in Nirvaana. Although gurus were way beyond this, for most people, achieving peace of mind is the goal in spirituality, although unrealistic goal is to be one with The Lord. So once people have found peace of mind, they start to believe that they have achieved their goal.

We achieve this peace from within by not letting things that happen around us bother us. That could happen only if we have attained the ability to accept things the way they are. This however does not mean that we don't do anything about the bad things that happen around us.

We still need to do the right thing but at the same time, we have to accept that bad things happen in this world.
VeeruS
Power User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:23 am

AS Khalsa wrote:And is there a benefit to this 'ability?

A situation when human being has no option, no choice and no control upon is the situation when he/she attains this ability.
Benefit of this ability is that life goes on.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:02 am

i did put some in but the administrator did not put on the net. so that is one of the reasons. if the administrator does not agree with me then the other religious people are going to be against me as well. as your questions indicate that you are exploring different ideas. you are religious

Moderator Note: Kindly review this notice
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4532
swarn bains
Power User

Postby kjsinghhyd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:47 pm

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh,

I am replying late so many might have pointed out same things as mine. Sorry for repeating.

1 - According to Sikhism, and in fact every faith, one achieves salvation by 'obeying God' or submitting to him/accepting his will. Forgive me for saying, but this makes God sound like some egomaniacal dictator in that he only rewards people who suck up to him. Why does God require us to do this if he is all-loving?

Everyone is free to interpret God like they want to. But no one connects to how Guru describes God.

2 - The main objective of a Sikh's life is to become 'one' with God. And yet paradoxically, Sikhism states that we are already 'one' with God. If we've already reached the destination, then what is the point of leading a religious life? What are we supposed to strive towards?

There is a difference between being in an organization or being devoted to an org!

3 - I fail to understand the idea that God is 'inside' of us. What does that even mean? Inside of what exactly? He can't be inside our bodies as he is not physical and scientists have yet to detect anything that suggests a physical presence of him within us. Is he within our souls (But our souls aren't physical either, so how is he inside of those)? If so, please elaborate.

Where are your thoughts? Where is your mind? Science doesn't know if it exists or if it is physical?

4 - If all paths lead to God, then why was it necessary to create Sikhism, if other religions already offer a path to salvation? In other words, if being a Muslim, who cuts his hair, can lead to liberation, then why bother going to the effort of keeping kes? If the response to this is Sikhism is the only path that leads to God, then I am definitely leaving the faith, as acceptance of others is what inclined me towards it.

All religions are different explanations and paths for your journey to God, you stick with what you get first or understand the best! Sikhi for Guru Nanak was all about spreading the love!

5 - Several miracles are supposed to have taken place in Sikhi and indeed all religions. Why is it that 'miracles' have only taken place centuries ago when there were no cameras and why are there so many contradictions with regards to miracles in Sikhi? - we have on the one hand, Guru Hargobind Sahib, whos heavily reprimanded Baba Atal Rai for performing the miracle of bringing his playmate back to life, and then on the other hand we have Guru Gobind Singh resurrecting the Panj Piare after beheading them, and Baba Deep Singh fighting with his head in his hand.

A miracle is an inexplicable event which amazes most people, but they leave it as it is, not trying to understand what happened. A Sikh gets the Truth out of the miracle.

6 - In Sikhi, we keep our Kes because we are supposedly forbidden to change the God given form in any way. Therefore, according to Sikhism, people who are born with severe physical defects are prohibited from recieving surgery to alter this as it would be changing their god-given form. Is this not hypocrisy?

It is all up to the individual. You have been given guidelines. Your faith will take you places.

7 - In Sikhism, we believe everything that happens is God's will and we should accept what happens unconditionally, as it is part of God's will. By that logic, because Operation Bluestar happened, should we not accept it and not complain about it, because everything that happens is God's will is it not? Even Guru Arjan Dev Ji said his killing was God's will. So why did Guru Hargobind raise his sword against the Mughals if they were simply enacting God's will?

Indian constitution guarantees justice as effect of any cause e.g. crime. Bluestar was a crime and there has been no justice. We are protesting that the system is broken. Guru Hargobind Sahib raised his swords because Mughals were going from bad to worse. And we can't even understand the importance of Shaheedi of Guru Arjan. It has much more complex and deep implications!

8 - Does God grant mukhta to good people who do not believe in him? Would God condemn me to another 84 million rounds of reincarnation for not believing in him in the face of an incredible lack of evidence?

I haven't met a single person who doesn't believe in God. Non believer would be a guy going mad saying the world is unreal, he is trapped in the Matrix and jump from a roof to try waking up!
--
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ
Kanwaljit Singh

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਸੋਇ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਤ ਜੰਗ - Khalsa is the One who always battles the vices within
kjsinghhyd
Power User

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:36 pm

AS Khalsa Ji,

Seems like you have missed a few responses , if possible can u pls respond to my post, would like to hear your views.

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby singh4u » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:49 pm

reply to your questions

1 - So do animals follow Sikhism as well? I cannot fathom how an animal can possibly have faith or attempt to find liberation- all animals are concerned with is intercourse and eating. Also Why does God 'adore' people who shun ego - why does he care who becomes humble?
when a bird is caged it seeks to come out, when a mice is in a box...it seeks again and again to come out even if there is no door...when a human ( highest form of creation ) seeks way out from all problems...it is only God...
in other words we all seek liberation and freedom on earth...so most of us moved out of punjab as it is unstable...now spiritually only way is God's path and in this case Sikhism is your road !

2 - You have not answered my question. You yourself said seva and compassion are the tools to awaken the 'light within'. Elaborate please.
to repair a house we need tools...to get a job we need tools such as education, references, skills....everyday in our lives we tools....in sikhism the tools are seva (selfless service ) compassion, naam, charity....these are tools...we cannot sit at home all day and say we are Sikh...we need to get up everyday and use our tools....once we do we get enlightened ...which means awakened and put on path....much a child...clothes put and hand held to school

6 - Please refer to the answer above for my dilemna with regards to this issue.
you simply need to have faith, patience and effort to follow and think of God everyday

8 - But why are most of us doomed for 8.4 million cycles. Most of us are decent people - so why will we be punished? Also, I have tried meditation and seva, and whilst I have felt good about it, I have not found any 'evidence of God'.
okay ...most of us who graduate or not from school will face employment ...and we all face job loss as it can happen any day or any minute! employer will look at all properly dressed...as all decent people.....karma cycle awaits for all us....and those who make effort will not face it

i have made simple explainable answers for you! We all face hardship...including sikhnet website...however we all fight daily and seek God's help! We do not give up! we have patience and pray for liberation from our problems....mostly we seek liberation from this karma cycle.

have faith
singh4u
Active Forum User

PreviousNext

Return to Sikhi Discussion