Hemkunt Sahib Yatra - Recommendations

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Moderator: loveleen

Hemkunt Sahib Yatra - Recommendations

Postby sgsewadar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 pm

I am planning on visiting Sri Hemkunt Sahib with my family in July. We will be traveling from Delhi with a car/van. I would appreciate receiving any recommendations on my itinerary and places to stay.

My proposed itinerary:
Day 1: Delhi to Rishikesh
Day 2: Rishikesh to Joshimath
Day 3: Joshimath to Govind Ghat, Govind Ghat to Govind Dham
Day 4: Govind Dham to Hemkunt Sahib, Hemkunt Sahib to Govind Dham, Govind Dham to Govind Ghat
Day 5: Govind Ghat to Rishikesh
Day 6: Rishikesh to Delhi

Questions:
1. Does this itinerary seem reasonable? Is it possible to shorten this by one day somewhere?
2. Does anyone have recommendations for good hotels to stay in Rishikesh, Joshimath, and Govind Ghat
3. Can anyone recommend a good car service from Delhi? How much is the typical rate for a trip like this?

Thanks
sgsewadar
New User

Re: Hemkunt Sahib Yatra - Recommendations

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 pm

SSA,

Are you planning to use a mule to trek up and down, otherwise its not possible to go up and down in 2 days, even then its pushing it, coz the last ardas at hemkund sahib is around 1.30 in the aft. (hving said that when i went last sept, i came across youth from rural punjab who climbed up and down in 2 days (walking), its generally better to keep a day aside for bad weather etc.

Instead of Delhi to Rishikiesh, i would suggest you do Delhi -SiriNagar (not the one in jammu) as Delhi - Rishikiesh is just around 6 hours, otherwise the RishiKiesh - JoshiMat journey becomes too long

Cars, if you looking at a sumo, around 38K for a 7 day journey, inlcuding driver and petrol is reasonable.

There are hotels managed by Govt n Garwhals in SriNagar as well as Govind Dham which are good, however book before you go. Hotel Kuber at Govind Ghat is also good, again book before you go. Along with these there are plenty of other hotels.

I went last sept and this is what i spent on hotels (its off season by then, so adjust rates accordingly)

Hotel in SriNagar(Rs 1800, pretty good delux room), including Drivers cot charges (sep areas for drivers)
Hotel in Govind Ghat Rs 1100 (not kuber, was a bit further from the Gurudwara)
Hotel in Govind Dham Rs 600 bed , 2 Beds in a room

I would suggest you try and get in touch with someone who organises Jathas, they can generally get you pretty good deals

Happy journey, along with path , also enjoy gods own nature and views, the landscape is extremely picturistic, so don't rush thru it,

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby singhbj » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:25 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Start by getting info. from these links

Official Website
http://shrihemkuntsahib.com/home.html

Hemkunt Sahib Yatra Travel Guide 2011
http://www.hemkunt.in/Hemkund%20Sahib%2 ... 0Guide.pdf

Hemkunt Sahib Yatra Travel Guide in English 2009
http://www.hemkunt.in/Yatra%20Sri%20hem ... nglish.pdf

http://www.sikhtourism.com/hemkund.htm

I will just like to say that it's better to travel with a Jatha (by Bus) along with other families.
This way you get Good company, many of them are regulars who know their way around and can be your guide.
Comparatively it's much Safer then travelling alone in a private vehicle.
All arrangements including food, lodging & stop overs are made by the organizers so you don't have to worry.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
singhbj
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 am

hemkud sahib is not that far. your path is correct. you may stay at a motel in rishikesh one night or the gurdwara there as well. many people stay there. you can make to gobind ghat the first day also.
next stop si gobind ghat or gobind dham.
you can stay at gurdwara at gobind ghat and then from there it is only 16km. when i went there was no road. now i heard there is road. if so you go strait to gobind dham there are lot of motels from gobind ghat to gobind dham. They are good motels. all kind of food available on the way. there is plenty of accommodation at gobind ghat and gobind dham as well. from there it is a height of about 3000ft. generally people walk up and down in one day. some older or weaker persons hire a mule from gobind ghat or gobind dham as they require to go to the top. those stops on the way in between are very short distance. unless you want to stay there for for somereason, it is not necessary and the accommodation is shabby.
swarn bains
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:27 am

hemkud sahib is not that far. your path is correct. you may stay at a motel in rishikesh one night or the gurdwara there as well. many people stay there. you can make to gobind ghat the first day also.
next stop si gobind ghat or gobind dham.
you can stay at gurdwara at gobind ghat and then from there it is only 16km. when i went there was no road. now i heard there is road. if so you go strait to gobind dham there are lot of motels from gobind ghat to gobind dham. They are good motels. all kind of food available on the way. there is plenty of accommodation at gobind ghat and gobind dham as well. from there it is a height of about 3000ft. generally people walk up and down in one day. some older or weaker persons hire a mule from gobind ghat or gobind dham as they require to go to the top. those stops on the way in between are very short distance. unless you want to stay there for for somereason, it is not necessary and the accommodation is shabby.
swarn bains
Power User

Postby Satbir4 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 am

I heard from my friend that hemkunt.in is a good for the same information
Satbir4
New User

Postby darrenpete » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:42 am

Rishikesh is one of the most holy cities in India. It is to be found in the Dehradun district of Uttarakhand. The town generally means Lord Vishnu. It is below the Himalayan ranges and is the main entry point to the main tourist attraction for Hindu pilgrimages. Rishikesh is a magnificent place for those who want to learn yoga. Adventure seekers love it for the rafting and trekking breaks that the destination offers. Rishikesh tourist places are perfect destination for those who have a spiritual inclination and have a keen interest in yoga and meditation. Some of the most visited tourist attractions in the picturesque Himalayan town are Triveni Ghat, Bharat Mandir, Geeta Bhawan, Lakshman Jhula and Rishikund.
darrenpete
New User

Return to Sikhi Discussion