Racism in 'Punjabi' movie

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Re: Racism in 'Punjabi' movie

Postby Lee Douglas » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:06 am

Many years ago now I watched a film entitled 'American History X' It was a fictional story about the realtionship between a young man and his racist older brother. The older brother went to prision for a racist killing while the younger brother hero worshiped him, and went down the same racist road.

It was as I say a work of fiction, containing many scenes of racisim and racist violence.

Is this film a work of fiction? Is it a comedy? Does it in fact highlight the stupidity of rasicim in order to make us laugh? I don't know I have never seen it, but I would say, unless it was a documentary, what is the problem?

Shoud we feel similar disugst for all works of fiction that contain an element of rasicm?
Lee Douglas
Power User

Postby snowy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:42 am

Waheguru Ji Ka khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Indian movies have focused primarily on ridiculing Sikhs that wear a turban even if they trim or shave all their facial hair. The punjabi with cut hair is not ridiculed in the same manner, nor is he noticed in the overall population in a way to promote jokes about punjabi's, this tells us the culprits are not just in bombay, but at home in punjab as well. Because those who claim to be Sikhs and have cut their hair are comfortable with the actual Sikh image being ridiculed. IF we cannot protect the proper image of a Sikh, then it is fathomable that we cannot protect ourselves from racism, within or without.

If a picture paints a thousand words, then this type of film shifts indians into a belief they are viewing their worst nightmare coming to life, done in a ridiculing style to further belittle this as unacceptable improper thinking that should never be seriously considered. It seems the problems that the movie "Jag Jeeondeyan de mele" is trying to make is for indians to focus on how much indians are changing in a way for the worst. In the film, part of the story is to highlight a Sikh marrying a black woman, as if this in itself makes this whole argument.

But this new type of marriage has already started in indian cinema. On a profession level, Akshay Kumar joined with Calvin Broadus Jr. (snoop dogg) in a professional marriage to promote the film "Singh is Kinng" to a broader audience. Ironically, Broadus requested to wear a turban in the music video as a way of showing respect, little did he know the movie does more to deface the beliefs of those that actually wear turbans.

In the movie "Singh is Kinng' a non-Sikh(Akshay Kumar) plays the lead role of a Sikh, which features him getting married by walking around a fire seven times, a practice forbidden in Sikhi. Due to superstitious beliefs by hindu astrologers, the title was purposely mispelled with an extra N in kinng, and the producers agreed to this "logic", so the Singh is never really a king, just a made up word that sounds like it. They were so afraid for Sikhs not to think of themselves as Kings,hoping that doing this will create confusion for Sikhs, and keep them from feeling powerful.

Imagine people of all walks of life that are becoming Sikhs, what really empowers them to become a Sikh, they Love the Truth their only King.

Articles are dedicated to the aryan history of some indians, but where does the brown come from? Do not have the astrologers answer this question if you seek the Truth. If there are indians embracing their white mothers, why not their black mothers? To Love either one less makes those that do not only lesser but liars. All of our ancestry should be embraced; it is the reality of how we came into being humans.

More important then our race is Sikhi. There is nothing that promotes racism in Sikhi. Guru Nanak Sahib Ji delivered the message of equality to everyone. No class, ethnicity, or race is excluded. All equally receive Waheguruji's Grace and are taught to seek a relationship with Waheguruji thru the Guru inside all. Everyone can receive Amrit, and become Guru Da Chela, in preparation for their marriage after their last breath.

Waheguru Ji Ka khalsa,
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
snowy
Active Forum User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:58 am

snowy wrote:Imagine people of all walks of life that are becoming Sikhs, what really empowers them to become a Sikh, they Love the Truth their only King.

snowy wrote:More important then our race is Sikhi. There is nothing that promotes racism in Sikhi. Guru Nanak Sahib Ji delivered the message of equality to everyone. No class, ethnicity, or race is excluded. All equally receive Waheguruji's Grace and are taught to seek a relationship with Waheguruji thru the Guru inside all. Everyone can receive Amrit, and become Guru Da Chela, in preparation for their marriage after their last breath.

snowy Ji,
Truth is foundation of Sikhism and all the religions in fact.
What is the ground reality ? What is the level of discrimination based on race, religion, caste, color and everything in sikh world. I can not tell the level on scale but am 100% sure of the fact on ground that it is at all not less than nor different from what rest of people of world reagardless of their religious background have, which means it is more a socio-cultural matter.
SSA

Moderator Note: Is it clear why you are reopening a 30 months old topic?
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby Sebastian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:02 am

Few days back, there was this thread titled something like "Bollywood is
racist". People were complaining that Indian movie industry, especially
Bollywood, was racist and darker skinned Indians are not given opportunity.
If that is so, how do you explain the presence of a Kajol or a Ajay Devgan as
main stars. Also, do u realise that Rekha, the queen bee of yesteryears was
very dark skinned. As far as i know, Sharmila Tagore is not that much fair
skinned(forget the fact that she got her face bleached) as also the BIG , Mr.
Amitabh Bacchan.These are a few of the main heroes or heroines i mentioned.
Of course i forgot Mithun, "the great". There are numerous other side-actors
and actresses.
I think many people(sadly the educated people abroad too) are easily conned
into thinking that the above mentioned are all fair skinned actors/actresses
just because they are in "Make up" in the movies. Its not just in Bollywood
but in any movie industry that no one likes to be shown or seen in their true
skin color.What about the South Indian film industry where majority of the
actors are darker but you wouldn't be able to make out in the movie ??!!So,
there is no need to become overtly sensitive about this.
Atleast in India, fortunately, we don't have much racial divide based on skin
color, a dark skinned Deve Gowda can become the country's Premier; what about
countries like the "Great USA" where any Black(leave alone a dark skinned
black) can never become the country's Premier. Blacks like Denzel Washington
are eulogised in Hollywood as a Black actor and not just any actor.
Hope, i have raised a point understandeable to many educated Indians abroad
rasing unnecessary uproar into the scheme of things in the Film industry of
India.
Sebastian
New User

Postby Sher dil » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:00 pm

Sebastian,

There are many Black actors in Hollywood and all across the US media. However, please name one actor of Bollywood in history who is a Dalit/Untouchable or from lower-caste? The fact that the real black people of India haven't even been able to have been accepted in the Indian media tells alot.

This is because I find all the directors and producers of Indian cinema who are upper-caste and have great tolerance for ethnic jokes, stereotyping and ridiculing just about any kind of people.

The prejudice against Muslims/Pakistan and others is apparent in many Bollywood movies.

In fact, even recently Bollywood made an offensive movie against Dalits and lower castes.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... d=14287785
Sher dil
Active Forum User

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:48 am

There is nothing that promotes racism in Sikhi. our first guru, Guru Nanak Sahib Ji delivered the message of equality to each and everyone . we all are equal. No class, ethnicity, or race is excluded.
Punjabi Movies are for entertainment only, don't apply their message in real life.
https://www.punjabdreamz.com/

Postby Romesh Kumar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:11 am

Topic/question is on ground reality, not on whether Sikhism promotes or not promotes equality.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Previous

Return to Sikhi Discussion