Learning Punjabi

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Learning Punjabi

Postby simran-sanghera » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:12 pm

Sat Sri Akal everyone,

I am a young Punjabi Sikh of 17 years growing up in America, and I learned a lot about the principles of the religion from my mother. I follow them whole-heartedly because I believe in the message of the Sikhs. However, embarrassingly, as a child, I never learned how to speak Punjabi properly. My father is Indian but born in America, so he stressed English more, and my mother tried to get me to learn as a child, but I was always reluctant (Guru Ji, please forgive me).

Now that I'm older, I see the true importance of learning Punjabi and Gurmukhi. I have always read my Paath in the English translation. I wanted to ask what the easiest way to learn Punjabi is so that I can learn it as quickly as I can and get the true meaning of the Guru's word. The English translation and the Original just don't feel the same, you know?

Thank you all. Waheguru.
simran-sanghera
New User

Re: Learning Punjabi

Postby Jorawar » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 am

Gurfateh Ji,

Join the club, I too struggle alot reading and writing Gurmukhi and punjabi... check out the videos posted by Khalsa Junior, they are developing learning material for young Sikhs, and are planning to post regularly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXvSqpw ... _w8cBiElHL

My children love watching these, we should help promote these kind of initiatives as I know how much time and effort goes into creating animation
Jorawar
New User

Return to Sikhi Discussion