I love hindy boy

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

I love hindy boy

Postby Simran deep kaur » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:08 am

I m a sikh girl and have a hindu bf i love him sooo much nd he loves me too we want to marry each other...he is not saying to convert to hindu religion but he is saying that i have to follow his religion as well as my religion also nd he will also follow my religion..he says that he will go to gurudware with me and celebrate my all punjabi festivals with me..so is our marriage is acceptable in sikh community? We want to marry like a punjabi couple in a gurudware?is he will acceptable in gurudware or not?
Simran deep kaur
New User

Re: I love hindy boy

Postby loveforsikhi » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:35 am

Simran deep kaur wrote:I m a sikh girl and have a hindu bf i love him sooo much nd he loves me too we want to marry each other...he is not saying to convert to hindu religion but he is saying that i have to follow his religion as well as my religion also nd he will also follow my religion..he says that he will go to gurudware with me and celebrate my all punjabi festivals with me..so is our marriage is acceptable in sikh community? We want to marry like a punjabi couple in a gurudware?is he will acceptable in gurudware or not?

Hi! I’m glad you have found someone that you really connect with. Now have you discussed what following each other’s religion means? It sounds like he just means you will participate in each other’s religious activities. Are you comfortable with his request? Have you talked about kids (if you choose to have them) and how you will be raising them? These are good questions to talk about now and clear up the expectations of each other beforehand.
Interfaith marriages are acceptable, but as to whether you are able to get married in the Anand Karaj at the gurdwara is a topic of debate right now for a lot of people. It might be a question for your local gurdwara because I think right now different gurdwaras might have different rules. There’s been a lot of news articles about it. I haven’t been keeping up with it but as far as I can tell it’s about this: Anand Karaj is really a religious ceremony that’s about making God as the central part of your marriage. The laavan really talk about how the soul-bride meets her husband God. So some people would argue that since non-sikhs should not be allowed to do the anand karaj and instead can just come to the gudwara to get blessings after the wedding.
I have seen lots of inter-faith marriages at the gurdwara where I live.
So I guess my answer is make sure you understand what the Anand Karaj is, and your boyfriend does. If you still want to move forward with it, ask the gurdwara where you live if they would allow it :)
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Re: I love hindy boy

Postby JasbeerSingh » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Simran deep kaur wrote:I m a sikh girl and have a hindu bf i love him sooo much nd he loves me too we want to marry each other...he is not saying to convert to hindu religion but he is saying that i have to follow his religion as well as my religion also nd he will also follow my religion..he says that he will go to gurudware with me and celebrate my all punjabi festivals with me..so is our marriage is acceptable in sikh community? We want to marry like a punjabi couple in a gurudware?is he will acceptable in gurudware or not?

More than Religion I guess it's the culture which will matter. If the boy is from a non Punjabi background his family may find it difficult to follow our festivals, if the boy is a Hindu Punjabi I don't think there will be any problem because Punjabi Hindus connect with Sikhs really well in all walks of life. As far as faith is concerned normally in 99% cases it's mostly the Girls or women who start following the boy's faith in the natural course of time. If you had been a dedicated Sikh then the ball is in your court, you must judge first the spirituality level of that boy (even in his own religion) that will matter the most. The Gurudwara question has been answered well by the Veerji with the id 'loveforsikhi'
JasbeerSingh
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion