Who to ask questions for understanding Guru Granth Sahib

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Who to ask questions for understanding Guru Granth Sahib

Postby Guddi » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:50 pm

I am very keen to understand some philosophical concepts in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I have some questions. Who do I put my questions to ? Ideally a Sikh scholar would be the best person. As an example, one question I have is:

On page 375 of SGGS, the verse is:
He alone receives the Lord`s wealth, who is pre-ordained to receive it.

SGGS Ji - page 375.JPG

If our destiny to receive the Lord's wealth is pre-ordained, then, what is the place of our endeavors to obtain HIS grace, blessings. What is the role/limit of pre-ordained destiny vs our endeavor to be dear to HIM ? In other words, if I am not pre-ordained to receive HIS wealth, then do I remain unfortunate for ever ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Guddi
New User

Re: Who to ask questions for understanding Guru Granth Sahib

Postby still » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:02 pm

SSA Guddi,
I would say everyone is preordained to receive it. Its up to you to try and receive it now or in the future (another life).
Do not let logic hold you back.

still
still
New User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Guddi wrote:I am very keen to understand some philosophical concepts in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I have some questions. Who do I put my questions to ? Ideally a Sikh scholar would be the best person. As an example, one question I have is:

SGGS Ji - page 375.JPG

If our destiny to receive the Lord's wealth is pre-ordained, then, what is the place of our endeavors to obtain HIS grace, blessings. What is the role/limit of pre-ordained destiny vs our endeavor to be dear to HIM ? In other words, if I am not pre-ordained to receive HIS wealth, then do I remain unfortunate for ever ?

Although neither I am a SIkh scholar nor a Sikh but would still like to table my personal views.
Term pre-ordained destiny appears more than one times in Gurbani/SGGSJ.

To best of my own understanding, SGGSJ/Gurbani is an universal message for whole of human kind.
Person who read or heard this 'Shabad' is preordained to receive it because;
He/she was preordained to read or listen to enlightened souls in the company/sangat of enlightened souls.
He/she went to sangat and met enlightened souls because he/she was inclined to or interested in God or self realization.
He/she was inclined to or interested in God or self realization because he/she was destined [preordained] to follow the path.
Thanks.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby singhbj » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:15 pm

The central theme of any Shabad is contained in the verse preceding RAHAO.

This is a key principle in understanding Gurbani.

Please have a look
http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Rahao

Now see the RAHAO verse
http://igurbani.com/?shabadid=1453&id=17127#bmb=1

It clearly states that we should actively seek Lords wealth.
singhbj
Power User

Postby JasbeerSingh » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:53 pm

Guddi wrote:I am very keen to understand some philosophical concepts in Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I have some questions. Who do I put my questions to ? Ideally a Sikh scholar would be the best person. As an example, one question I have is:

SGGS Ji - page 375.JPG

Sat Sri Akal Guddi Ji,
Well I can recommend you one channel with the name of "Basics of Sikhi" on Youtube.. They have a very good way of explaining the concepts to the naive people as well as people well Versed in Sikhi. It can be of immense help to you..

As far as your question is concerned, what I have learnt about this concept of your pre-ordained destiny is your previous Births' karma, Lord's Name is just like a nectar, but for that you need to have the thirst or the longing. And it never develops immediately, it takes years and many many Births. But in this Birth we Humans tend to forget our previous Karmas, Longings, cravings and Hard-work.. We may not be realizing that how much we wanted to merge back to our Lord God, Guru Sahibji is just trying to remind us that don't waste your Birth like this and if you find a Guru (or a situation seems like you have found your spiritual Guide) Just grab the situation as it is a result of penances and longings of so many Births..

In layman terms it's just like when you are born in a rich family, but you don't value your money.. But suppose when you know that how much you craved for the money and such lifestyle in previous Birth as you were poor you will immediately start valuing it more than your life because u will know how much difficult it's been to get it..Using that similar analogy Guruji asserts that you get it only when you are pre-ordained to get it.. Hence the deep underlying message is don't waste time and just Start loving Guru, who can help you end Life Cycles of Births and Re-Births and achieve eternal Bliss
JasbeerSingh
New User

Return to Sikhi Discussion