Do Sikhs hang out and chat at Gurdwara?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Do Sikhs hang out and chat at Gurdwara?

Postby stone-age » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:48 pm

I would like to know if it is typical for Sikhs to hang out at the Gurdwara and chat or anything like that. I am not a Sikh and probably never will be, I'm just not OK with vegetarianism. But the Sikh religion makes more sense to me than anything else. I would like to be able to hang out with like minded people every once in a while. If there was a charity based Sikh organization I would love to be a part of that. I went to a local Gardwara once at a suggested time and it seemed like people left as fast as the could after it was over. I got there at about noon, stayed for about 1.5 hours during the service. Maybe I should have got there earlier. Or maybe its just not normally done, especially for me where I am a little different and I don't speak the language at all.

Thanks for your help.
stone-age
New User

Re: Do Sikhs hang out and chat at Gurdwara?

Postby Bundha » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Hi Stone-age, nice to hear from you and welcome to the forum.

You do not say where your reside?

I can only talk about the UK. Most Gurdwaray in the UK would like the sangat (congregation) to sit inside and listen to either the kirtan (singing of shabads from the Guru Granth Sahib) or katha (sermons - explanations of Gurbani or stories from Sikh history) or recitation of the Guru Granth Sahib, but you will find many people milling about outside maybe going to the langar hall where you can have a free meal or talking chatting. I would suggest you go to the Gurdwara and approach any young person and explain that you want to meet and chat about spiritual matters, there may be Sikhi classes which you may attend and meet people. Many Gurdwaras now have Sikhi classes or sports events like archery or fencing, you can ask about them they are a good way to meet Sikhs. If you befriend some one you can go into the langar hall and help in the serving of the food or help clearing up or washing.
You are right, once the service is over most people want to leave and go home so it may be an idea to get there a little early when there are not many people about and then you can approach someone and make the first step.

Be carful of some older people who can be awkward and abrasive for no reason, age does this do not be put off by this, this is their nature.

In the UK there is a charity Khalsa Aid which I believe is base in the Midlands that is a good place to help out as they are very proactive and distribute food to the needy.

Do not worry about the veggie bit, once you start walking along the spiritual path all these things become apparent and a normal progression. Keep God in your heart at all times and see Him in all people.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Return to Sikhi Discussion