anyone able to help me on how to tune a tanpura?

Discussion of music, Gurbani, Raag and more. Musicians, Ragis and Jathas can network here

anyone able to help me on how to tune a tanpura?

Postby Kelly Singh » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:01 pm

wjkk wjkf all
i recently bought a flat tanpura because i couldnt afford the much bigger ones with gourd. anyone seen the flat ones used at gurdwara? also i was wondering on how to tune it. i have no idea. i know the tune would be based on what shabd is to be sung/played. any help would be appreciated.
Kelly Singh
New User

Re: anyone able to help me on how to tune a tanpura?

Postby benjifrank » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:03 am

Well it sounds like an indian instrument, I heard about that lots of time but I never used it so can't share with you.
benjifrank
New User

Postby arvsingh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm

The notes are the Following. Assuming you have a 4 corded one, it would be Low Pa. Sa Sa Low Sa.

Now the western notation depends on the persons Sa. Males range from C - D#. For me, my Sa is C#. My Pa is G#

You just have to tune it like that. use your phone app to download a tuner, that should help.
arvsingh
New User

Postby somi » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:51 pm

HI all. I am 29 soon to be 30 and new person to sikhism. i recently converted about a year ago. It is the way for me. But enough about me, i am buying a tanpura to learn and play so i can hopefully play with others at gurdwara .
SOMI
somi
New User

Return to Gurbani Kirtan