Buying a Tanpura to learn to play

Discussion of music, Gurbani, Raag and more. Musicians, Ragis and Jathas can network here

Buying a Tanpura to learn to play

Postby Kelly Singh » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:23 pm

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh
HI all. I am 29 soon to be 30 and new person to sikhism. i recently converted about a year ago. It is the way for me. But enough about me, i am buying a tanpura to learn and play so i can hopefully play with others at gurdwara . Even though i cannot read or even sing in punjabi or gurmukhi but i want to play and sing songs or self written ones. I love music and love sitting at gurdwara and just lisstening. anyone know how to go about like playing with others ect.
Kelly Singh
New User

Re: Buying a Tanpura to learn to play

Postby arvsingh » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:57 pm

WJKK WJKF,

A Tanpura? Tanpuras are metronomes really. They are only 4 cords that are played in order. The purpose of a tanpura is to keep the beat and to keep the singers voice in check.
You are literally plucking 4 strings in the same order over and over. Are you sure you aren't talking about another instrument?
This is a demonstration of a tanpura http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVeFX4O4zT0
arvsingh
New User

Postby Aliraza05 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:15 am

WGJK WGKF

Can anyone please tell me on how to find out when Bhai Ji is next going to be in the UK?

Luckvinder Kaur
Aliraza05
New User

Postby Aliraza05 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:29 am

Can anyone please tell me on how to find out when Bhai Ji is next going to be in the UK?

Return to Gurbani Kirtan