Japji Sahib Paath help?

Discussion of music, Gurbani, Raag and more. Musicians, Ragis and Jathas can network here

Japji Sahib Paath help?

Postby tkc96 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi, Im relatively new to paath, and attempting to learn more about Sikhism. To start off, Ive started to read Japji Sahib paath, however my punjabi is mediocre. Therefore, I have turned to an online publication called "Nit Nem" written by Dr. Kulwant Singh. He translates several scriptures into english for people like myself. As I was reading, I stumbled upon a verse in Japji Sahib Paath. It follows, "gur eesar gur gorakh barmaa gur paarbatee maa-ee." Dr. Singh translates it to be, "The Guru (God) Himself is Isar - Shiva – god of destruction; Gorakh - Vishnu – god of provisions; Brahma - god of creation; and Parbati - wife of god Shiva." I do not understand this. I thought Sikhism believed in Guru Nanak as our one true God. So why is this verse referring to Guru/God as Shiva and Vishnu, aka why is Hinduism being intertwined with Sikhism? Any feedback would be highly appreciated, thank you.
tkc96
New User

Re: Japji Sahib Paath help?

Postby singhbj » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:12 am

It means Guru is our all in all.

Sikhs must keep their faith in Guru just like devotees of Issar, Gorakh, Brahma etc keep their's.
singhbj
Power User

Postby Gaganjeet » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:36 am

All of the people worship God and deities. This was not the case in old times. Everyone had a Guru for spiritual journey. Lord Rama had guru a vashistji, Krishanji had guru as Sandipan ji, Sukhdev muni had the great brahamgyani Raja Janak as his Guru, Narad ji had to go to a Guru for enlightenment. Naradji attained enlightenment and eventually became guru of Dhruv bhagat who has been praised highly in Sikhism. This practice got changed when Pandits took over the reigns of religious teachings. Guru Sahib clearly said - BHAI RE GURU BIN GYAN NA HOYE, PUCHO BRHAME NAARDE VED VYASE KOI (Without a guru one cannot attain enlightenment, if you have doubt ask Brahma ji, Naarad ji and Ved vyas ji).
Here the Sidhs told Guru Nanak that they worship Gorakhnath ji, some Shivji and so on. So Guru sahib replied that his Guru itself is Gorak, Shivji, Brahma and everything. It is a very very deep line. He says, he doesn't needs to go to anyone else besides his Guru. The Guru is everything. I met some Radhasoami sangat and was so happy to learn so much from them. Some one asked what are you doing for the new house ceremony. The person gave a beautiful answer. He said- My Guru is Diwali and Christmas and the New house ceremony. We will just worship our Guru as a ceremony with the sangat.
This is exactly what Guruji meant by this line. I wish all of us have such a thinking.
Gaganjeet
Active Forum User

Postby Biriabc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:30 pm

ਗੁਰੁ ਈਸਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੋਰਖੁ ਬਰਮਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਮਾਈ ॥

ਈਸਰੁ = ਸ਼ਿਵ Hindu deity Shiva= destroyer]। ਗੋਰਖੁ – Gorakh = Yogis call God “GorakhNath” ] | ਬਰਮਾ = ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ – Brahma hindu deity of creation। ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਮਾਈ = ਮਾਈ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ [ Parbati wife of Lord Shiva]।

ਗੁਰੂ ਹੀ (ਸਾਡੇ ਲਈ) ਸ਼ਿਵ ਹੈ, ਗੁਰੂ ਹੀ (ਸਾਡੇ ਲਈ) ਗੋਰਖ ਤੇ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਹੈ ਅਤੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੀ (ਸਾਡੇ ਲਈ) ਮਾਈ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਹੈ।

Therefore for us, instead of Shiva, Gorakh, Brahma and Parbati, Guru is everything – the only guide
Biriabc
Active Forum User

Postby swarn bains » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:30 am

all those who have attained high status such a eiser (God) gorakh brahma, shivjee or parvati the mother have attained through the guru
swarn bains
Power User

Postby Ramangujral » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:06 pm

Nanak was a person, who went deep within himself and found 'god'. His sense of personhood was lost in that moment. He realised that his true nature is god himself. Not only he found it within himself, he saw that all beings and forms are manifestations of that supreme power that he found within himself. The same power, he noticed, is acting through every being and form in the universe. Bhrama, Vishnu and Shiva are forces of Creation, Sustainence and Destruction. Even these three forces are just manifestations of that supreme power that he found within himself. In bhakti, a love and devotion can arise towards these 'powers' and the devotee personifies them to be able to relate/communicate with them. So Bhrama is just the personification of the force of creation, which is acting even today. (Nanak is ok with personification of these forces .. he himself personifies the supreme power within himself and calls it the one creator-creation)

Gur is anything/anyone that helps a seeker from darkness to light. For many, Nanak the person, his writings etc. are Gur. When he says "Gur eesar gur gorakh barmaa gur paarbatee maa-ee", he means the forces of nature act as a spiritual guide for you, quietly preparing you for the inward journey.
Ramangujral
New User

Return to Gurbani Kirtan