Do you Sikhs feel proud of Manmohan Singh?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Do you Sikhs feel proud of Manmohan Singh?

Postby Jaybee » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:42 pm

It occurs to me that many of you might wish you had your own independant purposefully-Sikh homeland, and absent of this, a Sikh being India's current leader would be a thing of pride for you. Do you feel he has done your people proud?

Personally, I place him at an even greater position than Ghandi himself; India achieved independance under Ghandi, but never greatness; until the milleneum, foreigners laughed at India and her poverty, neediness and general weakness. I myself grew up somewhat ashamed of my heritage.

Now, those who once ridiculed India, fear her. Those who once pitied her, now admire her. My - have times changed. :)

And I attribute these changes to Mr Singh, whose economic reforms have more than tripled India's economy, and made her likely to overtake even the mighty USA some time this century. One of YOUR people, a Sikh gentleman, made this possible. I for one salute that great man.

I am somewhat saddened, though, by the ingratitude of the younger Indian middle-class fellows I speak to at work, who seem to think a little slowdown in growth from 7% in 2011 to 5% last year, thus meaning they may not be able to get their young brothers a job in the same company, is reason to hang Mr Singh from the Gate of India. Without his reforms, they would not be able to enjoy the lifestyles their grandparents didn't DARE dream about. They don't seem to remember the filthy squalor that was the rule in India, not the exception. They have only the haziest memories of very early childhoods in a country whose poverty was more akin to Africa, and likewise her prospects.

Anyway, question as it stands - are you proud of Prime Minister Singh?
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Re: Do you Sikhs feel proud of Manmohan Singh?

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Jaynee,

Sorry to make you feel disappointed (you generally feel that way seeing that i have responded, i do hope u saw my response on domestic violence among Sikh men)

I am not a Indian national, i grew up as one for 25 yrs though i still consider myself desi .

Looking back at his tenure i think he did some exemplary work, Nuclear power deal, economic growth , raising the turban issue with France, though not at the stake of rest of India (that's how regional parties do nowadays)

Above all not going to war with Pakistan when plenty of morons thought we should and that war is the only way.

Btw its not Ghandi (Thats how a lot of sikhs purposely mis-spell it , taking a poke at Indira , its Ghandhi)

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby suji singh » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:16 pm

I am proud of his achievements in the world of finance. Notwithstanding his political leadership, he was well-known international economist. He changed the future of India by moving her in the dirction of free market economy.
suji singh
Power User

Postby Jaybee » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:50 am

Nihal Singh Kanakpuria wrote:Jaynee,

Sorry to make you feel disappointed (you generally feel that way seeing that i have responded, i do hope u saw my response on domestic violence among Sikh men)

Actually this is the LEAST disappointing of your replies Nihal!! You're addressing the issue, and keeping the usual extraneous stuff out. Keep it the progress!

I am not a Indian national, i grew up as one for 25 yrs though i still consider myself desi .

And so you should. I myself have never set foot in India, nor my parents since the 40's, I can barely put together 5 words in Hindi, and I consider myself a true son of Mother Bharat.

Above all not going to war with Pakistan when plenty of morons thought we should and that war is the only way.

Agree almost wholeheartedly, I would add that there are a lot of bloodthirsty people out there too. But it's no surprise that those are the two groups comprising virtually all those that stand ready to go to war. The Pakistani's are our cousins and we have no business fighting them. However, I wish THEY had felt the same about us those 4 times they attacked us...

:(

Btw its not Ghandi (Thats how a lot of sikhs purposely mis-spell it , taking a poke at Indira , its Ghandhi)

Ahhhhh. :)

-Nihal
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 am

Jaybee,

Patronizing doesn't help anyone , keep away from it .

Its a pity that after being born and living in America ,never stepping into India you consider yourself as a true son of Bharat and not a son of America.

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby Jaybee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:58 am

Nihal Singh Kanakpuria wrote:Jaybee,

Patronizing doesn't help anyone , keep away from it .

Its a pity that after being born and living in America ,never stepping into India you consider yourself as a true son of Bharat and not a son of America.

-Nihal

Once again, for what seems to be the hundredth time, I find myself having to correct you. Get this into your head - I was neither born nor raised in America, therefore I am no son of America. Constantly having to set you straight is unnecessary overhead, hence my disappointment in seeing YOUR name in replies.

Now, I wonder; do you create these assumptions solely to keep me posting?

Moderator Note: Both of you, kindly carry on further personal exchanges off this forum. Thanks.
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 am

Jaybee,

If you were born or raised in America or not is irrelevant and besides the point. You are calling yourself True Son of bharat , when u haven't stepped in the country, means you are betraying the nation you were born in /or raised in.

I expected you to be smart enough to understand the point i was making , i stand corrected.

I am not going to making any more remarks on this post of yours.

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby AS Khalsa » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 am

Do I feel proud of Manmohan Singh? Though his efforts in reforming the economy are something to be applauded, he certainly isn't the pride of Sikhs. Sikhs are supposed to be exemplary examples of bravery. This man has no spine. Any Sikh who pledges allegiance to the Congress Party, the same party that in 1984 spearheaded the massacre of Sikhs in Delhi makes me feel sick. I cannot fathom how a Sikh can tell the widows of those killed by Congress mobs to simply forget the injustices committed against them. Manmohan lets the likes of Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler who orchestrated the killings of Sikhs hold privileged positions in his government. He is a coward, plain and simple.
AS Khalsa
Power User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:56 am

Jaybee wrote:It occurs to me that many of you might wish you had your own independant purposefully-Sikh homeland, and absent of this, a Sikh being India's current leader would be a thing of pride for you. Do you feel he has done your people proud?

Sikhs are divided over this issue as meaning and description of religion, homeland and nationalism is necessarily not same for all Sikhs of Punjab and Indians of other states as well.
Intellectual and Indian nationalistic Sikhs do feel pride in having a Sikh as PM of India.
Punjabis regardless of their religious faith feel pride in having a Punjabi as PM of India.
All North Indians feel pride in having a north Indian/Punjabi as PM of India.

He has handful of opponents within Sikh community who do not matter but in general Dr Manmohan Singh is one of those a few leaders of independent India who is respected and admired by one and all including opponents of his congress party.Along the same lines he deserves that because of his honesty and contribution to Indian economy in any office he has held to that of PM.

To stick to your question, I have not yet met any Sikh in Punjab/India/abroad who does not feel pride in having a Sikh as PM of India.

For your kind info, correct spelling of surname of Indira is Gandhi and Indira Gandhi is not even remotely related to Mahatma Gandhi or that family or clan.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby Jaybee » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:34 am

AS Khalsa wrote:Do I feel proud of Manmohan Singh? Though his efforts in reforming the economy are something to be applauded, he certainly isn't the pride of Sikhs. Sikhs are supposed to be exemplary examples of bravery. This man has no spine. Any Sikh who pledges allegiance to the Congress Party, the same party that in 1984 spearheaded the massacre of Sikhs in Delhi makes me feel sick. I cannot fathom how a Sikh can tell the widows of those killed by Congress mobs to simply forget the injustices committed against them. Manmohan lets the likes of Sajjan Kumar and Jagdish Tytler who orchestrated the killings of Sikhs hold privileged positions in his government. He is a coward, plain and simple.

Hi AS,

While I don't share your feelings about Manmohan, I respect them. All killing is disgusting, and like you, I question the inclusion of SK and JT. I have to ask you, though;

1) Why do you accuse him of cowardice? Can I presume he included the two individuals above to kowtow to popular opinion?

2) Sikhs - as well as being examples of bravery, aren't you also supposed to be all-forgiving? Even to the point of inviting those two officials for Langar?
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Next

Return to Questions and Answers