Gurmukhi script variant called Punjabi script or?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Gurmukhi script variant called Punjabi script or?

Postby johnyork » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:43 am

When some people from Punjab, India say they write in Punjabi and I ask them if they write in Gurmukhi and they say, "no, I write in Punjabi". What exactly are they saying? I ask them if it was the same as Gurmukhi and they said no. They said the spelling is different. When I have seen the writing, it looks like Gurmukhi, but with (Hindi script/Devanagari) characteristics. However, it was definitely not Devanagari. It looks like some kind of "Punjabi shorthand" if you will. So if it is not Gurmukhi script, then what do you call the name of the script they are using to write Punjabi language?

I think Gurmukhi is for writing formal Punjabi (what I learned) and the Gurmukhi like script they use is for writing Punjabi shorthand.
johnyork
Active Forum User

Re: Gurmukhi script variant called Punjabi script or?

Postby swarn bains » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:52 am

i guess you are right, but i am not a language scholar. gurmukhi is a script as well as shahmukhi is a script for writing punjabi language. so punjabi is a language and gurmukhi or shahmukhi is the way to write or express the punjabi language by writing. If there was no way to write and express a language such as punjabi, then it is only the spoken language which for a long time it had been, till the scripts such as gurmukhi and shahmukhi were developed to express on the paper. i hope i have expressed something worthwhile if not please forgive my expression
swarn bains
Power User

Postby johnyork » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:17 am

Swarn Bains Ji, good answer. I appreciate any replies I get.
johnyork
Active Forum User

Postby NSJ » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:27 am

Generally when students learn contemporary Punjabi in India today they are told they are learning the Punjabi alphabet rather than Gurmukhi. They tend to relate Gurmukhi to Gurbani and may be confused by your question. In my opinion if you are not using Shahmuki you are using Gurmukhi there is no third script for Punjabi.

However having said that I have seen Punjabi written in Hindi/Devnagri script and others as well but that is not common.
NSJ
NSJ
Active Forum User

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Panjabi language is derived from Gurmukhi/Shahmukhi. Gurmukhi was invented by one of our gurus, I think guru Ram das ji introduced it.

Shahmukhi was adopted by urdu/persian scholars.

In Indian Panjab, Panjabi is written using Gurmukhi script, whereas Shahmukhi script is used to write Panjabi in Pakistan Punjab.

i hope it answers your question.

Postby johnyork » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:54 am

With respect Singhr Ji, it doesn't answer the question. Are you serious when you say, "Panjabi language is derived from Gurmukhi/Shahmukhi. Gurmukhi was invented by one of our gurus, I think guru Ram das ji introduced it."

Punjabi is not derived from Gurmukhi or Shahmukhi. Those are the names of scripts for writing in Punjabi language. Punjabi language existed as a spoken language before the advent of Gurmukhi or Shahmukhi. Gurmukhi script was standardized by the second Guru, Guru Angad Dev Ji.
johnyork
Active Forum User

Postby johnyork » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 am

NSJ Ji, I believe in giving credit where credit is do and that is a very good answer. They are being told it is Punjabi alphabet in school. So when faced with the question, "What script do you write in?, some will reply "Punjabi".

I also believe many today associate Gurmukhi script with Gurbani to the point they may believe that "Gurmukhi" by definition means Gurbani script and not the script for spoken Panjabi. As you know though, Gurmuki (from the mouth of the Guru) is for writing Punjabi language (in its entirety, not just Gurbani). So as you have already pointed out, it is simply a matter of verbage. They were told one thing at a young age and therefore it becomes ingrained. It is like the Indian government wants to seperate Punjabi people from Sikhism.
johnyork
Active Forum User

Postby Serjinder Singh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:14 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Plaease see

http://fateh.sikhnet.com//sikhnet/discu ... enDocument

Humbly
Serjinder Singh
Serjinder Singh
Power User

Postby johnyork » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 am

Thanks for reply Serjinder Singh Ji. The link contains a lot of information in relation to this topic.
johnyork
Active Forum User

Return to Questions and Answers