Evolution?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Evolution?

Postby HarleenKaur » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

I am a college student and am currently taking honors evolution? The professor asked us about our personal background and knowledge about the theory of evolution. So I stated what we in America have been taught from elementary to high school; the theory of natural selection, bottleneck poplulation, ect. But I remember a friend telling me,when she attended kakta, that Sikhism does not believe in the theory of evolution. Therefore, I wanted to know what does Guruji, Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, say about evolution? In kirtan, the phrase "ek noor te sab jag upja" arises, but can someone please extend my knowlegde on this topic. Are there incidents that disprove this theory? Thank you and if I can said something wrong, please forgive me.
HarleenKaur
New User

Re: Evolution?

Postby Theodorus » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:05 pm

I do not think that Sikhism opposes any 'real' science. But then you also need to remember that all science do is 'construct' realy clever and very usefull models of (parts of) reality. Science is not reality itself although it sometimes does give some insight in how things work (not in why things work).
In the case of Evolution theory; this is a scientific theory/model that seems to work very well (as there is no better for the moment). But it still is 'just' a theory (nothing more, nothing less).
Theodorus
Power User

Postby nanuckpunthee » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:23 am

ਸਾਚੇ ਤੇ ਪਵਨਾ ਭਇਆ ਪਵਨੈ ਤੇ ਜਲੁ ਹੋਇਆ ॥ ਜਲ ਤੇ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣੁ ਸਾਜਿਆ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਮੋਇ ॥

From the True Lord came the air, and from the air came water. From water, He created the three worlds; in each and every heart He has infused His Light.

(Page 19, Siri Raag, Guru Granth Sahib)

This line from Guru Granth Sahib is often quoted as an example of Evolution.
nanuckpunthee
Active Forum User

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:17 am

SSA,

Sikhism, or teachings of Sikh Guru's are focused on spirituality and love for the creator, SGGS or Sikh teachings are not about providing step to step on what we should believe in our day to day life, for that humans have developed scientific models of reality (as rightly put by Theodorus Ji) . Evolution is just one of those models. Infact what we all call reality is nothing but a mental model of things (that best suites us) based on our senses etc.

In my Personal view Sikhism does believe in evolution, the only difference or variance is that it teaches creative evolution as evident from Japji Sahib lines below.

Keeta pasao ayeko kavao
From One Word vast expanse of the Universe got created!

Tis taye hoaye Lkh dariayo
From there hundreds of thousands of rivers began to flow.

Would also like to acknowledge here that i came across the above japji sahib verses in one of Serjinder Singh Ji's paper\post About creation of World\Universe according to Sikhism, Unfortunately dont have a link with me.

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby Serjinder Singh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:19 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

I agree with Theodorus ji. In Sikhism threre is nothing specifically to support or deny the scientific theory of 'evolution'. There are some vague ideas about origin of life which were there in mainly six different schools of philosophy such as the Sankhya philosophy. For instance, air originating first followed by water and then the rest of life evolving. There is nothing like the semitic religious ideas of God creating universe or life in six days and then resting on the seventh day. In Sikhism, the sequence of creation of universe is that God existed in formless stage known as 'Sunn'. This word is derived from Sanskrit word 'Shunya' or 'Vaccume' when there is no material object as a solid, liquid, gas or other material state. Buddhist scholar Nagarjun gave the idea of 'Sunn' a few centuries after Lord Buddha. From 'Sunn' God assumed the form 'Nirankar'. Nirankar then gave a command 'Oankaar'. This command also known as 'eko kawaao' in Japji. From this command God's sovereignity or 'Naam' was created as in first pauri of Asa di vaar, "Aapiney aap sajio aapiney rachio nao'. Then the physical nature was created. 'Duyi qudrat sajiai kar aasan ditho chaao'. That is 'Secondly physical world was created and God just enjoyed the spectacle that He created.

There is an important hymn in Gurbani alson known as the 'Creation hymn' by near the end of Guru Granth Sahib, Page 1035:

ਮਾਰੂ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥
मारू महला १ ॥
Mārū mėhlā 1.
Maaroo, First Mehl:

ਅਰਬਦ ਨਰਬਦ ਧੁੰਧੂਕਾਰਾ ॥
अरबद नरबद धुंधूकारा ॥
Arbaḏ narbaḏ ḏẖunḏẖūkārā.
For endless eons, there was only utter darkness.ਧਰਣਿ ਨ ਗਗਨਾ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਅਪਾਰਾ ॥
धरणि न गगना हुकमु अपारा ॥
Ḏẖaraṇ na gagnā hukam apārā.
There was no earth or sky; there was only the infinite Command of His Hukam.

ਨਾ ਦਿਨੁ ਰੈਨਿ ਨ ਚੰਦੁ ਨ ਸੂਰਜੁ ਸੁੰਨ ਸਮਾਧਿ ਲਗਾਇਦਾ ॥੧॥
ना दिनु रैनि न चंदु न सूरजु सुंन समाधि लगाइदा ॥१॥
Nā ḏin rain na cẖanḏ na sūraj sunn samāḏẖ lagā▫iḏā. ||1||
There was no day or night, no moon or sun; God sat in primal, profound Samaadhi. ||1||

ਖਾਣੀ ਨ ਬਾਣੀ ਪਉਣ ਨ ਪਾਣੀ ॥
खाणी न बाणी पउण न पाणी ॥
Kẖāṇī na baṇī pa▫uṇ na pāṇī.
There were no sources of creation or powers of speech, no air or water.

ਓਪਤਿ ਖਪਤਿ ਨ ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣੀ ॥
ओपति खपति न आवण जाणी ॥
Opaṯ kẖapaṯ na āvaṇ jāṇī.
There was no creation or destruction, no coming or going.

ਖੰਡ ਪਤਾਲ ਸਪਤ ਨਹੀ ਸਾਗਰ ਨਦੀ ਨ ਨੀਰੁ ਵਹਾਇਦਾ ॥੨॥
खंड पताल सपत नही सागर नदी न नीरु वहाइदा ॥२॥
Kẖand paṯāl sapaṯ nahī sāgar naḏī na nīr vahā▫iḏā. ||2||
There were no continents, nether regions, seven seas, rivers or flowing water. ||2||

ਨਾ ਤਦਿ ਸੁਰਗੁ ਮਛੁ ਪਇਆਲਾ ॥
ना तदि सुरगु मछु पइआला ॥
Nā ṯaḏ surag macẖẖ pa▫i▫ālā.
There were no heavenly realms, earth or nether regions of the underworld.

ਦੋਜਕੁ ਭਿਸਤੁ ਨਹੀ ਖੈ ਕਾਲਾ ॥
दोजकु भिसतु नही खै काला ॥
Ḏojak bẖisaṯ nahī kẖai kālā.
There was no heaven or hell, no death or time.

ਨਰਕੁ ਸੁਰਗੁ ਨਹੀ ਜੰਮਣੁ ਮਰਣਾ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਆਇ ਨ ਜਾਇਦਾ ॥੩॥
नरकु सुरगु नही जमणु मरणा ना को आइ न जाइदा ॥३॥
Narak surag nahī jamaṇ marṇā nā ko ā▫e na jā▫iḏā. ||3||
There was no hell or heaven, no birth or death, no coming or going in reincarnation. ||3||

ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਬਿਸਨੁ ਮਹੇਸੁ ਨ ਕੋਈ ॥
ब्रहमा बिसनु महेसु न कोई ॥
Barahmā bisan mahes na ko▫ī.
There was no Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva.

ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਦੀਸੈ ਏਕੋ ਸੋਈ ॥
अवरु न दीसै एको सोई ॥
Avar na ḏīsai eko so▫ī.
No one was seen, except the One Lord.

ਨਾਰਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਹੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਨ ਜਨਮਾ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਦੁਖੁ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਦਾ ॥੪॥
नारि पुरखु नही जाति न जनमा ना को दुखु सुखु पाइदा ॥४॥
Nār purakẖ nahī jāṯ na janmā nā ko ḏukẖ sukẖ pā▫iḏā. ||4||
There was no female or male, no social class or caste of birth; no one experienced pain or pleasure. ||4||

ਨਾ ਤਦਿ ਜਤੀ ਸਤੀ ਬਨਵਾਸੀ ॥
ना तदि जती सती बनवासी ॥
Nā ṯaḏ jaṯī saṯī banvāsī.
There were no people of celibacy or charity; no one lived in the forests.

ਨਾ ਤਦਿ ਸਿਧ ਸਾਧਿਕ ਸੁਖਵਾਸੀ ॥
ना तदि सिध साधिक सुखवासी ॥
Nā ṯaḏ siḏẖ sāḏẖik sukẖvāsī.
There were no Siddhas or seekers, no one living in peace.

ਜੋਗੀ ਜੰਗਮ ਭੇਖੁ ਨ ਕੋਈ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਨਾਥੁ ਕਹਾਇਦਾ ॥੫॥
जोगी जंगम भेखु न कोई ना को नाथु कहाइदा ॥५॥
Jogī jangam bẖekẖ na ko▫ī nā ko nāth kahā▫iḏā. ||5||
There were no Yogis, no wandering pilgrims, no religious robes; no one called himself the master. ||5||

ਜਪ ਤਪ ਸੰਜਮ ਨਾ ਬ੍ਰਤ ਪੂਜਾ ॥
जप तप संजम ना ब्रत पूजा ॥
Jap ṯap sanjam nā baraṯ pūjā.
There was no chanting or meditation, no self-discipline, fasting or worship.

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਆਖਿ ਵਖਾਣੈ ਦੂਜਾ ॥
ना को आखि वखाणै दूजा ॥
Nā ko ākẖ vakẖāṇai ḏūjā.
No one spoke or talked in duality.

ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਉਪਾਇ ਵਿਗਸੈ ਆਪੇ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਪਾਇਦਾ ॥੬॥
आपे आपि उपाइ विगसै आपे कीमति पाइदा ॥६॥
Āpe āp upā▫e vigsai āpe kīmaṯ pā▫iḏā. ||6||
He created Himself, and rejoiced; He evaluates Himself. ||6||

ਨਾ ਸੁਚਿ ਸੰਜਮੁ ਤੁਲਸੀ ਮਾਲਾ ॥
ना सुचि संजमु तुलसी माला ॥
Nā sucẖ sanjam ṯulsī mālā.
There was no purification, no self-restraint, no malas of basil seeds.

ਗੋਪੀ ਕਾਨੁ ਨ ਗਊ ਗਆਲਾ ॥
गोपी कानु न गऊ गोआला ॥
Gopī kān na ga▫ū go▫ālā.
There were no Gopis, no Krishna, no cows or cowherds.

ਤੰਤੁ ਮੰਤੁ ਪਾਖੰਡੁ ਨ ਕੋਈ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਵੰਸੁ ਵਜਾਇਦਾ ॥੭॥
तंतु मंतु पाखंडु न कोई ना को वंसु वजाइदा ॥७॥
Ŧanṯ manṯ pakẖand na ko▫ī nā ko vans vajā▫iḏā. ||7||
There were no tantras, no mantras and no hypocrisy; no one played the flute. ||7||

ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਾਖੀ ॥
करम धरम नही माइआ माखी ॥
Karam ḏẖaram nahī mā▫i▫ā mākẖī.
There was no karma, no Dharma, no buzzing fly of Maya.

ਜਾਤਿ ਜਨਮੁ ਨਹੀ ਦੀਸੈ ਆਖੀ ॥
जाति जनमु नही दीसै आखी ॥
Jāṯ janam nahī ḏīsai ākẖī.
Social class and birth were not seen with any eyes.

ਮਮਤਾ ਜਾਲੁ ਕਾਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਮਾਥੈ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਕਿਸੈ ਧਿਆਇਦਾ ॥੮॥
ममता जालु कालु नही माथै ना को किसै धिआइदा ॥८॥
Mamṯā jāl kāl nahī māthai nā ko kisai ḏẖi▫ā▫iḏā. ||8||
There was no noose of attachment, no death inscribed upon the forehead; no one meditated on anything. ||8||

ਨਿੰਦੁ ਬਿੰਦੁ ਨਹੀ ਜੀਉ ਨ ਜਿੰਦੋ ॥
निंदु बिंदु नही जीउ न जिंदो ॥
Ninḏ binḏ nahī jī▫o na jinḏo.
There was no slander, no seed, no soul and no life.

ਨਾ ਤਦਿ ਗੋਰਖੁ ਨਾ ਮਾਛਿੰਦੋ ॥
ना तदि गोरखु ना माछिंदो ॥
Nā ṯaḏ gorakẖ nā mācẖẖinḏo.
There was no Gorakh and no Maachhindra.

ਨਾ ਤਦਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ਕੁਲ ਓਪਤਿ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਗਣਤ ਗਣਾਇਦਾ ॥੯॥
ना तदि गिआनु धिआनु कुल ओपति ना को गणत गणाइदा ॥९॥
Nā ṯaḏ gi▫ān ḏẖi▫ān kul opaṯ nā ko gaṇaṯ gaṇā▫iḏā. ||9||
There was no spiritual wisdom or meditation, no ancestry or creation, no reckoning of accounts. ||9||

ਵਰਨ ਭੇਖ ਨਹੀ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਣ ਖਤ੍ਰੀ ॥
वरन भेख नही ब्रहमण खत्री ॥
varan bẖekẖ nahī barahmaṇ kẖaṯrī.
There were no castes or social classes, no religious robes, no Brahmin or Kshatriya.

ਦੇਉ ਨ ਦੇਹੁਰਾ ਗਊ ਗਾਇਤ੍ਰੀ ॥
देउ न देहुरा गऊ गाइत्री ॥
Ḏe▫o na ḏehurā ga▫ū gā▫iṯarī.
There were no demi-gods or temples, no cows or Gaayatri prayer.

ਹੋਮ ਜਗ ਨਹੀ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਵਣੁ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਪੂਜਾ ਲਾਇਦਾ ॥੧੦॥
होम जग नही तीरथि नावणु ना को पूजा लाइदा ॥१०॥
Hom jag nahī ṯirath nāvaṇ nā ko pūjā lā▫iḏā. ||10||
There were no burnt offerings, no ceremonial feasts, no cleansing rituals at sacred shrines of pilgrimage; no one worshipped in adoration. ||10||

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਮੁਲਾ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਕਾਜੀ ॥
ना को मुला ना को काजी ॥
Nā ko mulā nā ko kājī.
There was no Mullah, there was no Qazi.

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਸੇਖੁ ਮਸਾਇਕੁ ਹਾਜੀ ॥
ना को सेखु मसाइकु हाजी ॥
Nā ko sekẖ masā▫ik hājī.
There was no Shaykh, or pilgrims to Mecca.

ਰਈਅਤਿ ਰਾਉ ਨ ਹਉਮੈ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਨਾ ਕੋ ਕਹਣੁ ਕਹਾਇਦਾ ॥੧੧॥
रईअति राउ न हउमै दुनीआ ना को कहणु कहाइदा ॥११॥
Ra▫ī▫aṯ rā▫o na ha▫umai ḏunī▫ā nā ko kahaṇ kahā▫iḏā. ||11||
There was no king or subjects, and no worldly egotism; no one spoke of himself. ||11||

ਭਾਉ ਨ ਭਗਤੀ ਨਾ ਸਿਵ ਸਕਤੀ ॥
भाउ न भगती ना सिव सकती ॥
Bẖā▫o na bẖagṯī nā siv sakṯī.
There was no love or devotion, no Shiva or Shakti - no energy or matter.

ਸਾਜਨੁ ਮੀਤੁ ਬਿੰਦੁ ਨਹੀ ਰਕਤੀ ॥
साजनु मीतु बिंदु नही रकती ॥
Sājan mīṯ binḏ nahī rakṯī.
There were no friends or companions, no semen or blood.

ਆਪੇ ਸਾਹੁ ਆਪੇ ਵਣਜਾਰਾ ਸਾਚੇ ਏਹੋ ਭਾਇਦਾ ॥੧੨॥
आपे साहु आपे वणजारा साचे एहो भाइदा ॥१२॥
Āpe sāhu āpe vaṇjārā sācẖe eho bẖā▫iḏā. ||12||
He Himself is the banker, and He Himself is the merchant. Such is the Pleasure of the Will of the True Lord. ||12||

ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਨ ਸਿੰਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ ॥
बेद कतेब न सिम्रिति सासत ॥
Beḏ kaṯeb na simriṯ sāsaṯ.
There were no Vedas, Korans or Bibles, no Simritees or Shaastras.

ਪਾਠ ਪੁਰਾਣ ਉਦੈ ਨਹੀ ਆਸਤ ॥
पाठ पुराण उदै नही आसत ॥
Pāṯẖ purāṇ uḏai nahī āsaṯ.
There was no recitation of the Puraanas, no sunrise or sunset.

ਕਹਤਾ ਬਕਤਾ ਆਪਿ ਅਗੋਚਰੁ ਆਪੇ ਅਲਖੁ ਲਖਾਇਦਾ ॥੧੩॥
कहता बकता आपि अगोचरु आपे अलखु लखाइदा ॥१३॥
Kahṯā bakṯā āp agocẖar āpe alakẖ lakẖā▫iḏā. ||13||
The Unfathomable Lord Himself was the speaker and the preacher; the unseen Lord Himself saw everything. ||13||

ਜਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਣਾ ਤਾ ਜਗਤੁ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥
जा तिसु भाणा ता जगतु उपाइआ ॥
Jā ṯis bẖāṇā ṯā jagaṯ upā▫i▫ā.
When He so willed, He created the world.

ਬਾਝੁ ਕਲਾ ਆਡਾਣੁ ਰਹਾਇਆ ॥
बाझु कला आडाणु रहाइआ ॥
Bājẖ kalā ādāṇ rahā▫i▫ā.
Without any supporting power, He sustained the universe.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਬਿਸਨੁ ਮਹੇਸੁ ਉਪਾਏ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੋਹੁ ਵਧਾਇਦਾ ॥੧੪॥
ब्रहमा बिसनु महेसु उपाए माइआ मोहु वधाइदा ॥१४॥
Barahmā bisan mahes upā▫e mā▫i▫ā moh vaḏẖā▫iḏā. ||14||
He created Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva; He fostered enticement and attachment to Maya. ||14||

ਵਿਰਲੇ ਕਉ ਗੁਰਿ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਾਇਆ ॥
विरले कउ गुरि सबदु सुणाइआ ॥
virle ka▫o gur sabaḏ suṇā▫i▫ā.
How rare is that person who listens to the Word of the Guru's Shabad.

ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖੈ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਸਬਾਇਆ ॥
करि करि देखै हुकमु सबाइआ ॥
Kar kar ḏekẖai hukam sabā▫i▫ā.
He created the creation, and watches over it; the Hukam of His Command is over all.

ਖੰਡ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੰਡ ਪਾਤਾਲ ਅਰੰਭੇ ਗੁਪਤਹੁ ਪਰਗਟੀ ਆਇਦਾ ॥੧੫॥
खंड ब्रहमंड पाताल अर्मभे गुपतहु परगटी आइदा ॥१५॥
Kẖand barahmand pāṯāl arambẖe gupṯahu pargatī ā▫iḏā. ||15||
He formed the planets, solar systems and nether regions, and brought what was hidden to manifestation. ||15||

Regarding the conceptl 'Ek noor the sub jag upjia' is analogous to the 'Big Bang' concept of physics. Theodorus ji would know better about it. Immediately after the big bang when the 'boson' particles hadn't yet formed all the matter existed in a form similar to the photons that travel at the speed of light but have no mass. This is something analogous to the pharase 'Ek noor' or the 'One light' that gave rise to the physical world. Prior to the formation of 'bosons' the matter created by 'Big Bang' was just light with no weight. However the creation of 'Bosons' conveted some photons to particles with mass whereas the electromagnetic photons remained as massless light energy or electromagnetic eneregy for ever. From these particles the physical world evolved.

Humbly
Serjinder Singh
Serjinder Singh
Power User

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 am

-wait so you don't believe in evolution nihal?

Postby rusty_sim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:41 am

This reminds me of that fake story that was going around about NASA scientists reading the SGGS for information on the universe.

Given a few sentences of gurbani, one could analyse those words for days and draw all sorts of conclusions...valid or not.

The gurus certainly wrote some interesting stuff for their times, but by no means is it up the scientific calibre of today or even the past century and a half. Ultimately most sikhs believe in total creationism and that current organisms were intelligently designed, which follows the 'it is written' idea.

If only we could ask Nanak these questions.

I get tired of people referring to evolution as "just" a model or theory. The reality is that currently evolution is reasonable, logical and has proof (a simple experiment you could do at home is expose a population of bacteria to a disease and see that some individuals possess a genetic advantage that makes them immune. these immune bacteria reproduce to develop a population that is now sufficiently different to the original representation and has evolved.) Evolution can not and will not be debunked. Evolution isn't about how the universe was created (higgs bosson and string theory etc.) it's about how organisms change with their environment. Creationism on the other hand is a faith/belief based model with no scientific evidence.
rusty_sim
Active Forum User

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 am

Rusty Sim,

What i said about evolution being a model is not made up by me, but was proposed in the The Grand Design, written by the best known physicists of our time (Stephen Hawking). Before rebuking anything and everything as religious hogwash, its only fair to consider whats being said in an objective light and open mind.

The book talks about evolution being a scientific model (the best one we currently have but still a model), infact everything we know or treat as reality is a model of reality, We pick and select the one that suits us the best.
Even what we see with our eyes and term reality is nothing else but a mental model and not reality.

The book also has a different view on what we generally term as destiny or pre-decided, particular the experiment by mathematician, who just used some basic, very simple set of rules to explain the complexity of simple rules to a human mind. I had always thought on the amount of infinite variables and the consequences of any of them changing or reacting and its effect in the entire cosmos, The book also talks about that

Yes there are critics of the book, but none the less its a very open and different way of looking at age old questions.

My belief about creative evolution and not (co-incidental) evolution is mine, based on my understanding of things and experience (which along with Gurbani includes a whole lot of other things).

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby rusty_sim » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:13 pm

The issue of reality is a very complex one. I think by picking religion, most people avoid the philosophical nature of complex issues like reality. They accept the world as it is perceived by their eyes, ears and mind...and find comfort in the ideas proposed by their religion (karma, heaven, salvation, judgement).

I think the subject matter is now getting beyond the original post. In the same uncertainty we have with reality, we could destroy religion. So called sacred texts and stories are also subject to the 5 senses and therefore have an uncertainty in them. Therefore can they be trusted? Well only by faith and belief. Do you really believe Nanak stopped a boulder at Panja Sahib (evidence has shown the hand has been carved into the rock).

In its simplest example, what could be green to me, could be blue to you...

Descartes said 'cogito ergo sum'.

And I think that's the best we can do.

PS. What is Hawking's views on religion :)
Some excerpts from his wikipedia page...
Code: Select all
"The existence of God was unnecessary to explain the origin of the universe."

"The universe is governed by the laws of science. The laws may have been decreed by God, but God does not intervene to break the laws."

"Philosophy is dead."

"Scientists have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge."
rusty_sim
Active Forum User

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:51 am

ssa to all. Besides what has been quoted above from Gurbani , the 34 Pauri of Jap Bani makes it very clear, that our planet ,Dharti, is the only finely tuned 'green' planet, specifically created and installed, in the complete seen and unseen cosmos, for the survivable existance of all living beings, from as little as a single cell to a man - the image of God. It has nano precision accuracy and balance of day and night duration, of various seasons, atmospheric pressure, gravity, solar radiation, inter-se distance of its useful moon, all to sustain organic life. After manifesting Itself, the 'so called' God, established a set of Divine Laws, according to which the Natures are performing their duties, including that of evolution, while Ekencar now is merely a mute spectacor ! Nankian doctrine is eternal, and not at all time bound like that of present theoratical physists. SMSS.

Next

Return to Questions and Answers