Sikh Immigrants, inclusions, etc

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Sikh Immigrants, inclusions, etc

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:02 am

SSA,

Like all other communities we have young professional Sikhs migrating all over the world, I have myself lived in 2 separate countries for extended period of time, however in neither of those countries\Gurudwara have I found any formal\informal inclusion program, basically a specific time allocated for Sikh immigrants to interact and talk to the local Sikh community.

Its up to the immigrant to take the hard route and try to strike a conversation with the local sangat and make friends, who can sometimes be apprehensive, just like the immigrant its also up to the non Sikh, or aspiring Sikh to themselves strike up a conversation or make friends with sangat, It doesn't look like there is anything to make other people feel welcome, like some pseudo foster family who can introduce you to local sangat.

Have other Sikhs professionals experienced the same difficulties, what has been your experience, is there any program in place anywhere

-Nihal
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Re: Sikh Immigrants, inclusions, etc

Postby dony908 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:32 pm

WJKK WJKF!
@Nihal Singh Kanakpuria ji, you have utmost grabbed what I have had in mind, and yes I have almost the same feelings about mingling with local community though over the period of time you get partly used to it and partly the situations improvises mostly. I remember when I was out for the first time in UK on a professional assignment, I went to a local community centre just next to Gurudwara saab. There were things like books or other things to get occupied, but before I could have browsed anything I spoke to uncle ji there and he was like 'Kaka ji ithe kise kol time nahi hai, sare aapne jobaan te lage ne...'.and I was like I know that..., even I got good job to do, but people still eat, breathe and spend time to relax/refresh' and really a bit of disappointment, what I felt in my heart. Lately it was me, who tried to strike a conversation with a guy who looked to be bit Indian...and now we are good friends. However, I felt that lot of time the local people being apprehensive and sceptic probably.

Gurudwara saab and Sangat came to big time rescue from the pain of missing family back home and so thankful to WaheGuru ji for having that kind of atmosphere in Sikhi. I joined couple of local Gurudwara events, sports and some Charity work to keep the kaka ji in me busy....lol. You can try something similar, else let me know can pass more information....veerji.

Hope the situations improves as we go more global.

WaheGuru !
Bhulla chuka de Khimah...........
khoob tayree pagree meethay tayray bol
dony908
New User

Postby Jaybee » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Interesting. Firstly, let me state that I'm neither Sikh nor an Indian citizen, but I can confirm that among foreign-born PIA (people of Indian origin) there is a certain thought that goes through our minds when meeting another Indian, namely, "What on earth will it benefit me by befriending THIS guy, who brings nothing of any value?"

My faith does not place the same emphasis on non-elitism as yours does. I do not see any need to go out of my way to help a new arrival - though I would do so if there was no large inconvenience to me. It therefore does seem hypocritical to me that there are Sikhs who place such importance on equality, who would look down on new arrivals from the same land.

That probably doesn't answer your question in full, but I hope it goes some way to it.
Jaybee
New User

Postby singhbj » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:14 am

Nihal Singh Kanakpuria wrote:SSA,

Like all other communities we have young professional Sikhs migrating all over the world, I have myself lived in 2 separate countries for extended period of time, however in neither of those countries\Gurudwara have I found any formal\informal inclusion program, basically a specific time allocated for Sikh immigrants to interact and talk to the local Sikh community.

Its up to the immigrant to take the hard route and try to strike a conversation with the local sangat and make friends, who can sometimes be apprehensive, just like the immigrant its also up to the non Sikh, or aspiring Sikh to themselves strike up a conversation or make friends with sangat, It doesn't look like there is anything to make other people feel welcome, like some pseudo foster family who can introduce you to local sangat.

Have other Sikhs professionals experienced the same difficulties, what has been your experience, is there any program in place anywhere

-Nihal

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

''Welcome to the Material World''

Frankly professionals are considered a Threat due to current rate of local unemployment and
migrants in general are looked down upon as "low class".

Meaning that you don't have a substantial Bank Balance or own a house like older residents.

But any person can receive recognition through Seva or Community Service.

Once you volunteer, community members will start changing their attitude i.e become more friendly.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
http://forums.waheguroo.com/
singhbj
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:11 pm

excellent point
swarn bains
Active Forum User

Postby Dr.Kaur » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:22 pm

1. Volunteer - lol I tried to volunteer at the gurudwara, gave my name to them, my number, filled the forms to teach the kids Punjabi at local Gurudwara and guess what - they never called me! They just stare and if you want to start a conversation they start staring the other way.
So I just go to gurudwara, sit for a while and come back. I care even less. Seriously what do they think they are doing, they own the gurughar?

Secondly if I am wearing jeans they would look at me like they are going to eat me alive lol . That just want me to go even less to the gurudwara. I mean I used to wear jeans to gurudwara in India. I can wear what ever I want as long as it is respectful to the guru.
Dr.Kaur
Active Forum User

Postby singhbj » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

By Volunteer, i meant Hath naal Seva !

Scrubbing the floor, vacuum cleaning, dish washing, cooking langar etc.

Sangat shows admiration & respect to those who do such Seva.

Try and see for yourself.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
http://forums.waheguroo.com/
singhbj
Power User

Postby Singh.Germany » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:24 pm

ssa sareya nu,

this is interesting because I have also faced these conditions here in Germany. I am living in Germany since 1.5 years now. There are many reasons but one reason I think is
No Unity: how many of you have heard this.. eh jatta/bhaape/Ramgaria.. da gurdwara ji, mean this gurdwara belongs to Jatt/bhaapa/Ramgaria..etc. and I get soo pissed off, I dont feel like talking to such people.
Lack of basic education:this is missing, like just talk with a smile, friendly way or show positive spirit..

I dont want to offend anyone, its just what I felt. and unfortunately I have not been to gurdwara since last 1 year. I hope for the good in future..

Regards..
Singh
Singh.Germany
New User

Postby suji singh » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:43 pm

This is an interesting and relevant discussion for me. Here are my experiences:

I have been attending Yuba City, California, Annual Punjabi Mela for more than a decade. Attendees are ice cold, aloof, and unfriendly. No small talk, no hello/hi. Weird. I have no problem conversing with people elsewhere. The same applies to Gurudwaras around the world that I attended.

I have come to an understanding of this phenomena by recalling how folks in my Pind interacted with each other, especially outsiders. Suspicious of outsiders for sure! For instance, very few will come by my home to say hello during my visits to my Pind and, on the other hand, they are upset if I do not visit them in their homes. Unbelievable, considering the miles and troubles for me to reach the Pind.

Weddings, if you are invited, are good occasions to make aquaintances. By the way, I receive more wedding invitations than I can attend! You figure!
suji singh
Active Forum User

Postby David Singh » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Society has become more selfish and material orientated.

In our Gurudwaras we see the Sangat as mere people, and treat them as we would anybody else. We fail to see the Sangat as Saadh Sangat.

(SGGS 1299) (Ang 703)
Kaanra Mahala Panjava
- Bisar gayee sabh taat paraayee
Jab te saadh sangat mohe paayee
- Naa ko bairee nahee bigaanaa
Sagal sang ham ko ban aayee
- Jo prabh keeno so bhal maaniyo
Eh sumat saadhoo te paayee
- Sabh meh rav rehya prabh ekai
Pekh pekh Nanak bigsaayee

http://www.iigs.com/kirtan.html
David Singh