Sikhism Vs Punjabi culture

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Re: Sikhism Vs Punjabi culture

Postby Romesh Kumar » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:26 pm

jasbirs wrote:
Romesh Kumar wrote:Have organized ones in present times really become free of alleged mixture of ego and stupidity ? Needs introspection.

Unorganized religions are legacy of human follies that prevailed during the primitive stage of human race on planet earth. Such follies were perpetuated by certain individuals for their own selfish reasons. Much more convolutions and confusions were added to these follies over the period of time. These black holes of chaos , confusion and false stories have created fanatic terrorists time and again who polluted the atmosphere around them. It is ridiculous to see that even at present times ,where education is easily available in all societies, fanatics of these lifeless socio political groups attempt to demonstrate their superiority by their vast collection of primitive era stupidities.

You are repeating what you said earlier.
My question was and is...Have organized ones in present times really become free of alleged mixture of ego and stupidity ? Needs introspection.
If you do not have answer then there is no need to repeat what is already written.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby jasbirs » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Romesh Kumar wrote:You are repeating what you said earlier.
My question was and is...Have organized ones in present times really become free of alleged mixture of ego and stupidity ? Needs introspection.
If you do not have answer then there is no need to repeat what is already written.

If one does not have legs , he should learn to stand from able legged individuals. Trying to brand others as handicap wont solve one's infirmities. Neither does it affect the healthy person in anyway. Clammering for the status of 'healthy person' doesnt help either. Such moves are made by disabled men to satisfy their own ego. Hindu fanatics make both these contemptible claims. When the time comes , men with legs will stand on their legs with honour and disabled ones will languish in humiliation. Read history of hindus; read history of sikhs , think and introspect.

Moderator Note: This discussion is beginning to digress into an inter religious conflict. We do not encourage that on this forum. Kindly bring the discussion back to the original intent, otherwise we will have to close it down. Thanks for your understanding in this regard.
jasbirs
Active Forum User

Postby Gursingh » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Jee Ki Fateh

I have read all the posts and just wish to quickly respond (i should be doing homework haha).

(I saw the mod note, and im definetly trying to resolve the question here, not continue the problem). First about this organized religion discussion going on...Romesh Kumar jee, you asked "has organized religion become free of ego and stupidity", the answer is not yes or no. If you look at religion from the outside then the answer could be no, many are lost and have no idea what true religion actually is. Having said that, TRUE religion has 100% gotten rid of ego, in fact that is a fundamental teaching. (im talking about sikhism here, i have no knowledge to say about other religions and of course nothing against them, Sikhi is not the only true religion). Ego cannot even exist for it to be religion..of course it exists in the beginning but what im saying is that the goal in the end is to get rid of ego (if we had no ego already, we wouldnt be on the path would we?).

Back to original post...i have seen this question before about punjabi culture and sikhi, and i have to say i don't understand it. What does punjabi culture have to do with gurmat? sure they're somehwhat related with food we eat and our background, but that's irrelevant. And like Theodorus veerjee said, Sikhi has all of those characteristics you described on way higher levels. You are right, we live on earth, but does that mean we should not strive to live like guru jee has told us to, just because we are on earth? that doesnt make sense to me but i think this whole post comes down to one main question/topic...do you wish to find God or not? if not then continue with your culture thing and living "happy"...if yes, then truthfully follow your religion! So to answer your last question, i dont think a balance exists. Sikhi is complete, there is no need for any worldly balance or influence of punjabi "culture".

Oh, and about your personal story if i can comment, what you described is obviously serious as we all need the right amount of food/nutrients. But, don't hold grudges friend, they will do nothing for you. (in fact they will negatively affect you).

Forgive me for any mistakes friends or any offence.

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Jee Ki Fateh
Gursingh
New User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:15 am

jasbirs wrote:If one does not have legs , he should learn to stand from able legged individuals.

Very well said. He should not start advising or harming able legged ones nor should try to exploit the situation arising from sympathy he gets as being without legs nor he should try to undermine/sideline existing able ones as he will be the ultimate looser.

jasbirs wrote:Trying to brand others as handicap wont solve one's infirmities.

No legs to stand upon is an idiom 'not branding physical/leg handicap'.

jasbirs wrote:Neither does it affect the healthy person in anyway.

Very well said.Also healthy person should not be blamed for being responsible for ill-health of others.

Moderators have already taken note of your offtopic, unhealthy and unwarranted comments in rest of your post.
Let's talk about Punjabiyat and Sikhism.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby jasbirs » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Romesh Kumar wrote:Moderators have already taken note of your offtopic, unhealthy and unwarranted comments in rest of your post.
Let's talk about Punjabiyat and Sikhism.

Replies are inline with your remarks. They were of the nature of your own remarks. So it is clear now that yours were unhealthy , negative remarks.

I have already talked in no unclear terms.
jasbirs
Active Forum User

Postby Jaybee » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Theodorus wrote:Jaybee,

BUT...we live on Planet Earth, not Heaven. How have you balanced the difference between the two contrasting ways of life?

I think you have rather strange ideas of Sikhism as wel as Punjabi Culture.;-)

To start with; I'm Dutch and came into Sikhism just a couple of years ago. I tried to find the 'cut' between (religion) sikhism and punjabi (culture), and I can tell you: There is no clear cut, in fact they are very much intertwined.

I do not know where you got the idea that a true sikh cannot be of high spirits, strongly emotional, and thoroughly enjoy every single day or have a thoroughly passionate life? As far as I know there is nothing in sikhism that forbids all these things?
In fact all these things are not conta being quiet, true to the path of Sikhi, and placidly yielding to the correct authority until those very rare occasions when it proves itself otherwise. There is just a place and time for everything.

Off course sikhsime knows some rules but non of these are opposing 'normal' punjabi life.
I mean being vegatarion and not drinking alcohol does not mean you cannot be of high spirits or thoroughly enjoy every single day of have a thoroughly passionate life. And as for food; I've experienced that 'Sikh/Punjabi' food is much more spicy and tasty than I'm used to (even without meat and I used to eat meat)

My "ideas" of Punjabi culture come from about 30 more years of exposure to it, pre-internet, than simply 2. And I can well imagine that your cuisine is far more bland than ours. Though I thank you and yours for introducing me to the concept of putting mayonnaise on frits.

:)
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Postby Jaybee » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Gursingh wrote:YOh, and about your personal story if i can comment, what you described is obviously serious as we all need the right amount of food/nutrients. But, don't hold grudges friend, they will do nothing for you. (in fact they will negatively affect you).

Forgive me for any mistakes friends or any offence.

No offence even suspected. But I'm revisiting this topic as a result of another post on this forum, where a man describes his relationship with an abusive father. I feel for him, but can't address him as I'm not Sikh. There, I believe his father maliciously mistreated him, quite knowingly. Some fathers mistreat their children without intending to or caring if they do. Mine fell into the latter category with almost Spartan style. This is in stark contrast to the way my 4 nieces/nephews are being raised, and they will have so much more than I ever did. As a loving uncle I lavish care and attention on them at every opportunity. I'm a busy man 9-5, but will make time from 5-9 and at weekends to do all those things my own never did for me. I play football (Soccer!) with them, answer their many, many questions on life,

My youngest nephew asked, "Uncle Jaybee, why are you so nice to me?" I have to tell you, it took all my self-control not to break down in front of him. I simply replied, "Because nobody looked after me this way when I was your age, and I want you to have the happy childhood I didn't have." A bit heavy for a 6 year old boy, but there are times when you must tell the FULL truth to kids, and this definitely qualified. I meant every word.

My father is now disabled, with almost no chance of recovery, and honestly, he doesn't deserve to recover. I smile inside watching him hobble pathetically. Randomly, he'll scream, "I just want to kill myself". I hope he doesn't. I want him to suffer. The Spartan has fallen on his own sword. And although I will help bring him his medicines/chai etc, I do so with a great deal of satisfaction deep inside. This is his punishment, this is justice for what was done to me.

Anyway, you've heard it said, no doubt, that you must forgive. Helping him is as much forgiveness as I'm capable of. But I put it to you, you must NOT forget. Never forget. To forget an injustice is to allow it to recur, if not to you, then someone else.
One God.
Jaybee
Active Forum User

Previous

Return to Questions and Answers