Advice? religion and parents

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Advice? religion and parents

Postby sb2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I need some advice from everyone on here, to let me know what is right and what is wrong. So, I have been raised in a Sikh family and for a few years (i am 19, wear turban and has a beard, if that matters) now my aspect/views on religion have changed as i have read about the subject and through life experiences.

I am very critical of religion and i believe it largely divides human beings from one another, although i still do believe in god but not the concept of religion itself. To me, religion causes complexities between human beings and love. I am a true believer of love, that god resides in every human beings heart and by loving every human being (no matter of what race, ethnicity, religion, etc.) you will become closer to god. My religion is the path of love. However, I dont disagree with the concept of religion as a whole, there is lots of good things about it and i find it very interesting, i have read about many major religions, such as Sikhism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc.

I dont want to get much into the religion aspect, because the real problem i have is if i should i tell my parents. I am contemplating on this decision because my dad has cancer (doing very well right now) and i dont want to cause stress on to him or my mother. Also my parents are very conscious about their family image, they are so concerned about how other relatives think about us, which will obviously makes this situation worse. I think what will cause them the most stress is that i wont have the image of a Sikh, as I will cut my hair. On the other hand, for years now i have felt as if im being forced to believe in Sikhism. I want freedom of my beliefs, opinions and views.

So what should i do? Sacrifice my beliefs? Should i tell them or just keep quiet?

Thanks!
sb2
New User

Re: Advice? religion and parents

Postby singhbj » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Go ahead and do as you like.
I am no fortune teller but it seems you are going to be kicked out of Family Home.
So better learn from Homeless, how to survive on the streets : - )
singhbj
Power User

Re: Advice? religion and parents

Postby VeeruS » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 am

This is simply a learning process.

It's ironic though that I was also 19-20 when I was in college and people always argued about Hindu/Sikh. I obviously took Sikhs' side. But then I asked why I was siding with the people who were somehow responsible for being part of all this unrest in this world.

I started cutting my hair for a different reason and my family didn't have much of a problem with it even though my father was a Sikh.

Although I don't regret cutting hair, in fact, I do feel good about myself as I feel I am much impartial now, I would suggest that if you are really concerned about your relationship with your family and your family will be shocked, give it some time. Take time establishing such as environment that your parents clearly know that sooner or later, you are going to cut your hair.
VeeruS
Power User

Return to Questions and Answers