Pregnancy and labor

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Pregnancy and labor

Postby Jett » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:57 am

Hello,

I wanna be a midwife. For the subject antropology do I have to make a presentation about sikhism and in particular about pregnancy and birth. I can't find much information on the internet. I would like to know if there are things that Sikh woman do or do not if they are pregnant or when they giving birth. For example, painrelief during labor, epidural analgesia? Are there other rituals? Recitation of prayers? Or? Do they want prenatal test for Down Syndrome and others?

Thanks in advance! My presentation is over 2 days...

Jett

(Sorry, my english is not so good, I'm from The Netherlands)
Jett
New User

Re: Pregnancy and labor

Postby NSJ » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:10 am

Hello Jett,

The short answer to your question is that standard medical care should be provided. I am not aware of any religious restrictions on receiving standard medical care.

As far as diet of the mother, some may be vegetarian. It is best to ask the mother. There are no rituals or prayers that should interfere with medical care of a Sikh woman during pregnancy and labor.

You can learn about Sikh religion on this site and bbc world religions site.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.
NSJ
NSJ
Active Forum User

Re: Pregnancy and labor

Postby Jett » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:48 am

Thank you very much for your reply! I have found much information about the Sikhreligion, but I could not find anything about pregnancy and labour, maybe because there are no restrictions :). Thank you!
Jett
New User

Return to Questions and Answers