Spiritual Vs Temporal Obligations

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Spiritual Vs Temporal Obligations

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:35 am

Hello,

I am a British Sikh and live in London.
I am in my early 30's and have a young baby.
I work from 7am to 8pm Monday to Friday (add an additional 1 hour to commute each way to work).
This means I hardly see my wife / child in the weekdays. Weekends fly by and I have no real time to go to the gurdwara / read the holy books despite wanting to be more involved.

What does our religion say in such circumstances ? I literally have no time to give and this is making me sad.

Thanks for any advice...

Re: Spiritual Vs Temporal Obligations

Postby Punjabi G » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Welcome to the new world of multi tasking and stretched out thin lifestyle! I may not have answer to your query but I have wondered about the similar situations. As working adults with young kids, what can you do to give yourself a balanced life and even more important pass it along to the next generation. Do you let go of demanding careers and find something else? What will be the right way to ensure that we and our kids are also taking time to stay in touch with our spiritual self, doing our nitnem and spending some time in sangat?

I over heard one of my co-workers today as she was inquiring from a pre-school/day care center for her little daughter. She said that her daughter will be going to a pre-school soon and she will drop her off at 7:00 a.m. and then pick her up at 6:00 p.m. in the evening. I was just amazed! It means she has to wake up by atleast 5:30 a.m. and by the time she gets home and cooks dinner, it will be 7:30 p.m the earliest. And you still have to worry about other chores, preparing for next day and what not.

What can you possibly do after such a day? What I wonder about is these kids who have spent their whole childhood in day care. Where would they find a spiriual peace in such lifestyle? They say that water will find its own level. I guess it's the same for human beings. They will find how much or how little time they want to spend enslaved to office computer and how much for other things. I know most of the time, I listen to the kirtan in my car, commuting to/from work, use same devices which I love to blame (iPhone, internet) for connecting to other Sikhs and so on. But it sure begs the question that is this lifestyle really appropriate for us? There seems to be no down time. Funny thing is that I was in Punjab few months ago and they were all chasing this "dream"! I told them be careful what you wish for!
Punjabi G
Power User

Postby singhbj » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Gurbani says that a Sikh must learn & practice Sikhi from an early age.

In later years it becomes difficult to adapt and change lifestyle.

Frankly everybody gets 24 hours a day, how you spend them is a matter of choice.

Ideally a Gursikh should spend minimum 2.4 hours (10 percent) a day in Simran, Nitnem, Saadh Sangat, Seva and Gurbani Vichaar.

Below are some suggestions that might help

1. Get up early and start doing Nitnem (daily morning prayers)
2. You can listen to Gurbani while getting ready as well as commuting.
3. Download Simran and Katha (Discourse) and listen when free.
4. Visit Gurdwara on weekends and volunteer for Seva.
5. Join a family camp like http://manvirsingh.blogspot.in/2011/12/ ... hotos.html
6. Plan a vacation (a pilgrimage) eg. http://www.punjabnewsline.com/~punjabne ... ines/36902

Lastly it is easier to raise a child in a Joint Family set up. Grand parents usually take care of the baby while mother and father are at work.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
singhbj
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:34 pm

as you are a busy person. time is the essence here. then the best time for u is to do path is while travelling. that should do it for u. all it needs is the intent and sincerity, not the customs and rituals.
swarn bains
Power User

Return to Questions and Answers