Iron Kara?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Re: Iron Kara?

Postby Ishna » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:12 pm

Khalsa ji

I am unfamiliar with Nihang Rehat and therein lies my confusion. Thank you for pointing it out - no misinformation, different information. :)

For Traveling Man ji: you may or may not be familiar, there are a few different Rehat Maryadas (codes of conduct) within Sikhi. There is "mainstream" (I guess) Rehat Maryada created by the SGPC in 1930s, and you can access it here: http://sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.asp I would say most Gurdwaras around the world come under the SGPC and follow this Rehat.

AS Khalsa ji says his Gurdwara follows Nihang Maryada but I don't know much about that maryada. I know Damdami Taksal has their own Maryada you can see here: http://damdamitaksaal.org/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=68 I'm not sure if this is the same Maryada Khalsa ji is referring to.

Gurfateh
Ishna
Ishna
Active Forum User

Postby BindasGirl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:33 am

Even though I am not Sikh, i am a white American, I wear a steel kara out of respect of my boyfriend. I found a really nice place on eBay to buy it and they came in several different sizes. Just search it and you will probably find it.
BindasGirl
New User

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Many Thanks to you all!

Coming here I have not only received the information required, but also you have furthered my education. Where else can I get that?

As it turned out I found what I was looking for at one of the vendors mentioned above. I did speak with my blacksmith friend about forging one from iron. (By the way, he a fine, upstanding family man with no known vices who is more open-minded than most people I meet when it comes to various faiths.) He said that he could make exactly what I wanted, but due to the metals available here could not make one from iron. Seems that what most call *iron* here is really a mild steel that will rust worse & faster than true iron. Oddly enough, he knew the proper name of what I was asking him to make & was concerned that there may, indeed, be some religious blessing necessary. (I really didn't expect that!)

Again, thanks!

Previous

Return to Questions and Answers