Is it ok to wear KIRPAN Without gatra.

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Is it ok to wear KIRPAN Without gatra.

Post by Guest »

SSA,
I am an engineering student ,6 months back after discussing with my amritdhari friends we started wearing kirpan without gatra as our kakkar is KIRPAN not gatra and the reason to wear a gatra is only to carry kirpan, so when I go to college I wear my kirpan in the belt of my pent..but yesterday my friend doubted me that I should also wear gatra as it is mandatory. I wear gatra at my home and when ever I wear kurta pajama, so please tell me that if doing this is right or I should switch over to the other option.
Khalsa.Fauj.13
Active Forum User

Re: Is it ok to wear KIRPAN Without gatra.

Post by Khalsa.Fauj.13 »

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh...

Veerji, in my opinion your friend was right.... It actually is mandatory to wear a kirpan with Gatra... Kirpan also means that Satguru is always with you to protect and guide you and therefore its necessary to give due respect to Kirpan and keep it stable and in your reach.... If you carry it in your belt then there are chance that you might drop it somewhere....

I've seen people who tie their Gatra around their waist by making a knot as sometimes Gatra slides down the shoulder while running or doing other activities.... I too thought that it was right and did the same.... But after almost a month I bought a new gatra and tried to wear it over the shoulder and I experienced that by wearing the Gatra the right way my Kirpan felt as a part of myself and not something external that I have to carry around and it also gave a better feeling of dignity and security.....

So I hope that you start wearing a gatra....

Post by Guest »

Khalsa.Fauj.13 wrote:Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh...

Veerji, in my opinion your friend was right.... It actually is mandatory to wear a kirpan with Gatra... Kirpan also means that Satguru is always with you to protect and guide you and therefore its necessary to give due respect to Kirpan and keep it stable and in your reach.... If you carry it in your belt then there are chance that you might drop it somewhere....

I've seen people who tie their Gatra around their waist by making a knot as sometimes Gatra slides down the shoulder while running or doing other activities.... I too thought that it was right and did the same.... But after almost a month I bought a new gatra and tried to wear it over the shoulder and I experienced that by wearing the Gatra the right way my Kirpan felt as a part of myself and not something external that I have to carry around and it also gave a better feeling of dignity and security.....

So I hope that you start wearing a gatra....

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH VEER JI,
Thanks for your opinion, I fully agree with you that by wearing gatra we can't miss our kakkar any time.I started this after buying VICTORINOX small kirpan its leather cover was designed to wear in the belt, thats the only cause I started doing this practise now I have edited my old gatra which can carry victorinox kirpan.
sunnylesta
New User

Post by sunnylesta »

can someone please explain why a gatra is mandatory? where does is say its mandatory? your guidance would be greatly appreciated. As far as I know the Sikhs use to have their primary shastras in the cummerbund; gatra is not apart of the 5 kakeh so where did the gatra originate from?. Please help

Post by Guest »

Gaatra is not mandatory for khalsa. In earlier days, "kamar kassa" was used to hold the sword (also, the swords were much bigger then).
The motive is to hold the kirpan properly. That's it.
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Post by Nihal Singh Kanakpuria »

Guest wrote:SSA,
I am an engineering student ,6 months back after discussing with my amritdhari friends we started wearing kirpan without gatra as our kakkar is KIRPAN not gatra and the reason to wear a gatra is only to carry kirpan, so when I go to college I wear my kirpan in the belt of my pent..but yesterday my friend doubted me that I should also wear gatra as it is mandatory. I wear gatra at my home and when ever I wear kurta pajama, so please tell me that if doing this is right or I should switch over to the other option.
In my personal view , A Kirpan without Amrit is a knife, as in it loses its religious attribute and significance and may also act negatively towards Sikhs and their right to freely practice their faith

Wearing a Kirpan (though comes with great responsibility) takes less getting used to physically, so considering that, why not wear Kirpan only after you take Amrit ?

-Nihal