Baby names for interfaith marriages

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Baby names for interfaith marriages

Postby Guest » Fri May 21, 2010 4:07 am

WKWF,
SSA,

I have been married to my wife for 5 years, and we have been blessed with a son. I am Sikh and she is Muslim.
As both our parents were very understanding towards our marriage, we want to name our boy with a name that sees no difference between Sikhism or Islam.

Are their names you could suggest that have their foundation in Sikhism but is also accepted in Islam?
We thought of choosing a name that belongs to neither, but that is not what we want.
I hope this forum can help.

Chip

Re: Baby names for interfaith marriages

Postby supender1 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:40 am

You may name him " Iqbal". This name is quite common in both belief systems. Historically, Iqbal was the name of first muslim male who got baptized to sikhism. And y hearty congratulations for the new one....
supender1
New User

Postby GuruKirpaNaal... » Fri May 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I also feel that Iqbal is a suitable name for your child; however, I have another name in mind. See, during Guru Sahib’s time, there was a famous Muslim Saint, a lot of his pieces of poetry have been placed in the Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. His name is Fareed Ji.

I feel that Fareed is a great name for your son as it is a name from Islam and reflects on Sikh history. It belongs to one faith and is respected open heartedly in another.

I hope my suggestion was of any use to you! May I also add, congratulations on the newest addition to your family!

May Guru Sahib bless you and your family!

- Guru Fateh Ji!

~ Simran Kaur
GuruKirpaNaal...
New User

Postby AM » Tue May 25, 2010 1:03 am

Congratulations and best wishes, how exciting.

There are many many names that have a leg in both cultures and faiths.

A quick look through baby names lists will give you many names that are maybe pronounced/spelt slightly different but mean much the same thing.
AM
Active Forum User

Postby jodha.manawan » Sat May 29, 2010 5:32 am

guru fateh ji

i have a name for ur son shahbaaz singh
jodha.manawan
New User

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:27 am

[url]Hello My friend I am searching by baby names . I founded this website called babynology . If you want both Muslim and Punjabi name than you must visit Pakistani baby page of this site . Because i have read history all Sikhs lived in Pakistan . There are lot of matching names like Aisha,Alia,Kabir. Check from here[url]http://www.babynology.com/pakistani_babynames.html[/url] it has meanings too.

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:24 pm

Iqbal this name has beautiful historical meaning and goes with both of you just fine

Postby ifaith82 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:02 pm

we are in a similar situation. interfaith couple having our first kid. we are looking for a girl name that starts with 'A' that will suit one's shia/bohra faith and the sikh tradition...

looking for suggestions...

thanks in advance!
ifaith82
New User

Return to Questions and Answers