Why does listening to Gurbani or kirtanmake me cry?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Why does listening to Gurbani or kirtanmake me cry?

Postby fearless » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:17 am

I have done a lot of wrong in my life, and i recently tried to find peace through Gurbani, however whenever i listen to it i begin to feel overwhelmed with emotions and am unable to cotrol myself from crying,i dont even understand Gurbani fully but still it has this effect on me, whether there is a reason to this i dont know, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
fearless
New User

Re: Why does listening to Gurbani or kirtanmake me cry?

Postby pooja » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:35 pm

I think you are repenting what you have done wrong in your life. This is your way to ask for forgiveness.
You are showing your love and respect for Gurbani.

I have seen real sants/Mahatamas having tears in their eyes while reciting gurbani.

Good luck.
pooja
Active Forum User

Postby himmat_singh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:18 pm

I don’t know why you start to cry when you listen to Gurbani but maybe, just maybe, you subconsciously recognise it as a desperate measure by your conscious self. There is little to be gained from crying but there is a lot to be gained from understanding Gurbani and you can always read a translation which will teach you a lot more than an original Gurmukhi version, unless of course you have a good understanding of the various S Asian languages incorporated into the original (but you suggest you don’t).

As well as the invaluable advice you will gain from reading Gurbani, which will help you to avoid mistakes, you might wish to consider this advice from Norman Vincent Peale, an American protestant preacher (1898 – 1993). He wrote a book entitled “The Power of Positive Thinking”

(i) One should throw away the negative thoughts of pessimism and lack of confidence in the success of the work in hand....
(ii) One should cultivate the habit of self-analysis to know his qualities and potentials and also practise autosuggestion to strengthen the positive aspects.....
(iii) Thinking should not remain confined to selfish affairs; one should also plan for other’s welfare and attempt materialization of the same....
(iv) God-gifted willpower and inner strength should be used creatively and cautiously to avoid the wastage and misuse of the mental and physical potentials and talents.
(v) Daily routine should be well planned - keeping in mind that every step in life should lead towards higher goals....
(vi) The energy and activities of mind should be oriented in a positive direction by creative thinking and adept learning.
(vii) One should practise linking the self with divinity every day and night - by way of prayers, meditation etc, as an integral part of life. This cultivates inner strength and virtues to enable one to overcome all difficulties and adversities and even do what would appear impossible to many others in general.

Waheguru ji ki Fateh
himmat_singh
Power User

Postby rani_vancouver » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:45 pm

Sat Shri Akaal Everyone,

Dear fellow Sikh, you are not the only one who cries when listening to Gurbani. Many do including myself. I personally don't have any regrets, remorses, don't feel guilt about anything, I am quite content with my life. However, it can be called viraag, the longing to meet our higher self. At some level the feeling that we are separated from our true self, the desire to meet Guru Sahiban or the Lord Himself. Even if we have done something wrong in the past, God is ever forgiving. Correct your mistakes now, and move on. But that may not be the only reason why you feel like crying. As my dad would say as we cannot make anything out of iron rod unless it is heated, similarly our soul cannot be molded unless it is softened first. Many times we are hit with difficult times in life, you will see that only during those times we can make most spiritual progress. As during these experiences when our heart and soul are softened, we can shape it into something. Let these experiences soften you, then you use the hammer of understanding Gurbani to mold your soul to become more close to God. So consider it an opportunity to do the work on your soul. :) The effort put during this kind of times will leave permanant marks on your soul.

Many times Gurbani makes us laugh too. Today I laughed really really hard after to read the following Shabad. Here Bhagat Kabir Ji is giving God list of his groceries that he needs from God to survive. :)

Page 656

ਰਾਗੁ ਸੋਰਠਿ ॥
raag sorath ||
Raag Sorat'h:

ਭੂਖੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਕੀਜੈ ॥
bhookhae bhagath n keejai ||
I am so hungry, I cannot perform devotional worship service.

ਯਹ ਮਾਲਾ ਅਪਨੀ ਲੀਜੈ ॥
yeh maalaa apanee leejai ||
Here, Lord, take back Your mala.

ਹਉ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਸੰਤਨ ਰੇਨਾ ॥
ho maango santhan raenaa ||
I beg for the dust of the feet of the Saints.

ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਿਸੀ ਕਾ ਦੇਨਾ ॥੧॥
mai naahee kisee kaa dhaenaa ||1||
I do not owe anyone anything. ||1||

ਮਾਧੋ ਕੈਸੀ ਬਨੈ ਤੁਮ ਸੰਗੇ ॥
maadhho kaisee banai thum sangae ||
O Lord, how can I be with You?
My interpreation: O Lord how can I be shy of you?

ਆਪਿ ਨ ਦੇਹੁ ਤ ਲੇਵਉ ਮੰਗੇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
aap n dhaehu th laevo mangae || rehaao ||
If You do not give me Yourself, then I shall beg until I get You. ||Pause||

ਦੁਇ ਸੇਰ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਚੂਨਾ ॥
dhue saer maango choonaa ||
I ask for two kilos of flour,

ਪਾਉ ਘੀਉ ਸੰਗਿ ਲੂਨਾ ॥
paao gheeo sang loonaa ||
and half a pound of ghee, and salt.

ਅਧ ਸੇਰੁ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਦਾਲੇ ॥
adhh saer maango dhaalae ||
I ask for a pound of beans,

ਮੋ ਕਉ ਦੋਨਉ ਵਖਤ ਜਿਵਾਲੇ ॥੨॥
mo ko dhono vakhath jivaalae ||2||
which I shall eat twice a day. ||2||

ਖਾਟ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਚਉਪਾਈ ॥
khaatt maango choupaaee ||
I ask for a cot, with four legs,

ਸਿਰਹਾਨਾ ਅਵਰ ਤੁਲਾਈ ॥
sirehaanaa avar thulaaee ||
and a pillow and mattress.

ਊਪਰ ਕਉ ਮਾਂਗਉ ਖੀਂਧਾ ॥
oopar ko maango kheenadhhaa ||
I ask for a quilt to cover myself.

ਤੇਰੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਕਰੈ ਜਨੁ ਥਂ​‍ੀਧਾ ॥੩॥
thaeree bhagath karai jan thhanaeedhhaa ||3||
Your humble servant shall perform Your devotional worship service with love. ||3||

ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੀਤਾ ਲਬੋ ॥
mai naahee keethaa labo ||
I have no greed;

ਇਕੁ ਨਾਉ ਤੇਰਾ ਮੈ ਫਬੋ ॥
eik naao thaeraa mai fabo ||
Your Name is the only ornament I wish for.

ਕਹਿ ਕਬੀਰ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥
kehi kabeer man maaniaa ||
Says Kabeer, my mind is pleased and appeased;

ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ਤਉ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਨਿਆ ॥੪॥੧੧॥
man maaniaa tho har jaaniaa ||4||11||
now that my mind is pleased and appeased, I have come to know the Lord. ||4||11||

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Rani
rani_vancouver
Power User

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:23 am

Dear Fearless

I was deeply moved by your post. You asked for assistance and hence my response.

First of all let me put your mind to rest. Such feelings and emotions on hearing Gurbani are not unknown. The fact that you feel overwhelmed is the ‘magic’ of Gurbani and you are a very fortunate person as somehow you have invoked Guru’s Grace.

To invoke Guru’s Grace you do not have to do continuous paaths (recital of Gurbani - though this is what you should now look into) or be very knowledgeable about Gurbani. Provided a person repents from the heart, the vale of worldly maya which stands between the mind and soul begins to fade away and the soul is awakened. Feelings of ecstasy on hearing Gurbani become more frequent. The Lord begins to reveal His play and we experience pleasure, pain, detachment and ecstasy at the same time (SGGS 409). The fact that we had been foolishly attached to worldly pursuits render our mind and body sad.

Often individuals who pray continually and read up on granths and puranas do not reach such levels of spiritual experience (moments as some will say). On the other hand some invoke Guru’s blessing in an instance (like Sajjan Thug and Vali Kandhari). This is due to true repentance and actions of one’s previous existence. I am not saying this but Gurbani blesses us with this wisdom:

When the seed of my past actions sprouted, I met the Lord (Guru Arjan Dev SGGS 204)

After the first bakhshis (initial blessing of the Guru) one is Imbued with the Shabad, and becomes detached from the world. He goes into a profound primal trance and begins to recognize his quintessential soul (the real home - one’s inner being).

Many individuals argue that they do not understand Gurbani or are unable to interpret it correctly due to various constraints, such as language, culture, and lack of a guide. They search for various translations and at the end of the day they may become a little wiser but may still remain deprived of divine ecstasy and trance. But it need not be like that since the power of Shabad transcends all such barriers. Otherwise how did Guru Nanak enchant people in areas distant from Punjab, speaking different languages? We must believe in the power of Gurbani and provided our minds are properly attuned, Gurbani will never fail us.

Shabad is my Guru; the equipoise of my spiritual consciousness is the disciple of the Shabad Guru (SGGS 943).

Just as after our woes, trials and tribulations, we sometimes come across a friend or an elder, our welled up emotions surface in the form of tears, in the same way we experience ecstasy when our Guru takes us in his divine lap and showers his love and blessings upon us without any reservations.

You must now use your experience as a launching pad to immerse deeper into Gurbani and enjoy Guru’s blessings along the way. I sincerely wish you well.

Rajinder Singh ‘Arshi’

Postby fearless » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:33 am

I thank you all for our responses, i do now believe i am heading towards the spritual journey of Gurbani, I am thankful to god for giving me the chance to repent my sins, and put right all the wrong that i have done, and i am sure i have many more mistakes to learn from.

I have felt this calling or this need to fix up my ways for a while now, but i foolishly brushed these thoughts a side and continued with numbing myself and my pain by other means, a cannibus user for over 13 years a drinker for over 10years and occasional user of other drugs i always told myself that to feel intoxicated is how i like to feel, a day without a spliff would make me feel confused angry, i had so much anger and hatred, arguing with every1 all the time,beieved that no1 understood me, no1 knew the real me, but deep down i knew that i didnt know the real me,and most of the time i was angry at myself.

I'd occasionally when i felt really down i'd listen to paath and id cry and id feel as if i was wrong listening to it i wasnt worthy for all the wrong that i do. One day not even that long ago 2 weeks ago after going out and drinking so much that i couldnt see anything i could hear voices people swearing shouting and me screaming shouting back being verbally abusive and even being told that i was physically abusive to people, i apparantly collapsed and my friends couldnt wake me, i apparntly fell asllep on the road, i say apparantly because i dont remember fully what happened or even how i got home.

The following day i felt so empty and lost id been previous to this all week been on a amphetmine kind of drug that would bring me to a high, give me energy to do my daily routine, the mixture of the drink an the drugs i believe had a really bad effect on me, i was down and lost, and i hadnt felt this way in over 8 years now, i was depressed i was so angry at myself, i remebered all the wrong that has been done to me andlike wise all the wrong i have done and have still been doing. But just in that instant i decided to stop it all drinking drugs smokinging the anger i just wanted to let go of it all id had enough, and i knew god was my answer. Since that day i have been listening to Jaap Ji sahib every morning Sukhamni sahib rehras and kirtan sohila, as a addict especially to cannibus i have not once felt the need to touch anything no drinks no drugs, i for once in my life feel at peace, i know its early days yetand this will be a slow process but i am almost waiting for myself to fail and i know i shouldnt do so, i feel as though god has blessed me with this strength to change my ways. My freinds and family can not understand what has happened to me i cannot understand myself,i am queit i dont want to argue or talk about things that will corrupt my mind, i want to stay at peace with myself, i just hope nad pray this change will saty with me i dont ever want to feel lost again.

thank you all once again and im sorry if i have bored you with my story but i felt the need to share my experience with you after you guys have giving me the time to send me such useful and valuable advice.

Nina x
fearless
New User

Postby rani_vancouver » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:21 pm

Sat Shri Akaal Nina Ji,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. After to know more details of your situation, few more things I would suggest is: now that you are so determined to change your life, make significant changes to your life style right now. The things you used to do, you are not doing those now. This should spare you with that much mental energy, and time. So why not switch your habbits, join a gym, take some courses, clean up your room, throw away the clutter, change your friends, make the kind who will discourage you from these habbits. Making these changes will make this much harder for your mind to bring you back to the same path. Buy a rosary, and try meditations. I personally like repeating the following shabad:

Page 917, it is the second pouri of Anand Sahib prayer, very easy to understand and memorize.

ਏ ਮਨ ਮੇਰਿਆ ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਰਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਲੇ ॥
eae man maeriaa thoo sadhaa rahu har naalae ||
O my mind, remain always with the Lord.

ਹਰਿ ਨਾਲਿ ਰਹੁ ਤੂ ਮੰਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਦੂਖ ਸਭਿ ਵਿਸਾਰਣਾ ॥
har naal rahu thoo mann maerae dhookh sabh visaaranaa ||
Remain always with the Lord, O my mind, and all sufferings will be forgotten.

ਅੰਗੀਕਾਰੁ ਓਹੁ ਕਰੇ ਤੇਰਾ ਕਾਰਜ ਸਭਿ ਸਵਾਰਣਾ ॥
angeekaar ouhu karae thaeraa kaaraj sabh savaaranaa ||
He will accept You as His own, and all your affairs will be perfectly arranged.

ਸਭਨਾ ਗਲਾ ਸਮਰਥੁ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਸੋ ਕਿਉ ਮਨਹੁ ਵਿਸਾਰੇ ॥
sabhanaa galaa samarathh suaamee so kio manahu visaarae ||
Our Lord and Master is all-powerful to do all things, so why forget Him from your mind?

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮੰਨ ਮੇਰੇ ਸਦਾ ਰਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਲੇ ॥੨॥
kehai naanak mann maerae sadhaa rahu har naalae ||2||
Says Nanak, O my mind, remain always with the Lord. ||2||

Also if it will help you, make a point to update all of us with your progress. Every week, you can write a brief message that I am still sober and I have done this and this to improve my life. This may make you feel that we are also part of your recovery group, and you have to kind of report to us, hence should be more responsible to show us how good you are doing. :) Don't hesitate, it is a great service for us too if we can be of any help to someone else.

Best Wishes,

Regards,
Rani
rani_vancouver
Power User

Postby PCJ2K » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:42 am

The kind of melody we like has something to do with the inner self of ours.

There are different stages we go through in our lives and we like different kind of music based on what stage we are in. When we are in love, we like love songs. When we are in sorrow, we like sad songs.

In your situation, you have realized that you have been doing something wrong. Since you realize that what you were doing was wrong, it means that you are finding out who you really are. The person who did something wrong was not really you.

Just try to be yourself and you will be alright. We may not know everything about The Creator but seeking God is the determination to do the right things in life and prayer more or less is strengthening the determination.
Live your life to the fullest, Lord will take care of the rest...
What a wonderful world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5IIXeR5 ... re=related

or

Neelay gagan ke talay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipuJOUwWkD8
PCJ2K
Power User

Postby csghumman » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:07 am

What can I tell you my friends.I have gone through this and still go through this at times.It started when I listened gurbani while driving truck .I would cry,not because of my guilt but out of love to my guru.I would think that what did we do that Gurus left such a precious jewel for us?Why Guru is so merciful on undeserving people like me?What do I return that could be considered as "thankfulness"?Why do I feel like having so much "sukh"Sometimes people say the name "Nanak" in such a loving way that tears automatically start flowing.In situation like that I don't feel like gaining knowledge.I don't even feel necessity to understand gurbani. All I want is that be there my head at feet of my guru .All of gurbani revolves around surat,mat,mann budh but the fact is that it takes you beyond that .I have lot more to say and I have tried to post it in the past.But moderators had rejected it. May be it was too good to be true for them.But I have gone through this.
NAAM=GOD'S ATTRIBUTES,JAPNA=CONTINUOUS EFFORTS TO ADOPT GOD'S ATTRIBUTES BY LIVING ACCORDINGLY
csghumman
Power User

Postby pbfj103 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:08 pm

I myself cry sometimes while listening to Gurubani (it does not happen all the time)but when it happens, I feel as if I am in a blissful state and I do not want to come out of it. It is beyond explanation.

Rajinder
pbfj103
New User

Next

Return to Questions and Answers