Question regarding Sikh history in the UK

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Question regarding Sikh history in the UK

Postby Moderator 2 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:59 am

A message from: JeanCooper

Hello -- I am a librarian at the University of Virginia, and I am trying to catalog a booklet on Guru Gobind Singh by P. M. Wylam, a rather prolific author about Sikhism. I believe she served as editor of a newsletter for your organization many years ago. Among the pamphlets she wrote were: An Introduction to Sikhism (1965), Guru Nanak (1984), The Sikh marriage ceremony (date unknown), and Guru Gobind Singh (1984). She appears to have still been living in 1988, when she reviewed Sidhu's The Gurudwara (1988).

As I understand it, Mrs. Wylam changed her name to Manjit Kaur at some point in the 1970s or 1980s. She wrote under several names: P. M. Wylam; Manjit Kaur; and Manjit Kaur McCormack among them. I have been trying to retrieve some information about her (preferred name, birth and death date, etc.) in order to create a standardized name for our online catalog.

I am writing you in the hope that someone on SikhNet might know something about P. M. Wylam, and might be willing to give me some historical information about her, so that I can straighten out the matter. If this is appropriate for your forum, would you be willing to ask the members of the Forum to help? Thank you for any assistance you can give me.

Jean L. Cooper
Metadata Creation and Organization
Content Access and Discovery
University of Virginia Library
Moderator 2
Forum Sevadhar

Return to Questions and Answers