Getting married in gurdwara - victoria

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Getting married in gurdwara - victoria

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:14 am

Sat Sri akal,

I'm a punjabi sikh and my partner is punjabi muslim.
We are legally married however I am looking forward to get marry at the gurdwara and to get the blessings from waheguru.
Can anyone please help guide me on how I may be able to do this?

Regards,
Preeti

Re: Getting married in gurdwara - victoria

Postby Superstar » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:30 am

When you people don't believe in or practice Guru Granth Sahib's teachings. Why marry in front of Guru Granth Sahib? When is this hypocrisy going to stop? You already got your marriage registered, it is done. Gurbani wasn't written to do circles around, it was written to read, understand, practice and implement.

Also, Akaal Takht has issued edict stating that marriages can only be between Sikh and Sikh. Sikh rehat maryada is also very clear on this.

http://www.sgpc.net to read the rehat maryada (code of conduct).
Superstar
Active Forum User

Postby swarn bains » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:32 am

go to gurdwara management tell them the whole story and tell that you want to get married in gurdwara. they should have no objection. if one person objects then go to the gurdwara committee, they will agree to it
swarn bains
Power User

Postby IJJSingh » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:58 am

Dear Preeti ji,

Congratulations on your wedding. First thing you need to decide is what exactly you are seeking. Are you looking to arrange a ritual of wedding in a guruduara or are you seeking blessing of Waheguru? These are two very different things. You may face obstacles in arranging the ritual but there is absolutely no obstacle in getting the blessing.

Currently, there is a lot of controversy on whether or not guruduaras should allow Anand Karaj involving couples where one person is not a Sikh. There are strong arguments for and against this stance. I apologize for using the term ritual for describing Anand Karaj. Anand Karaj can be a wonderful transforming experience for a couple who is in in love with the Guru. Its no more than a ritual if it is serving solely a social purpose - a billboard of sorts to show people around you that you have some affiliation with Sikhs. To arrange Anand Karaj, you will need to speak to the management of your local guruduara. Based on recent events in the UK you may not find many guruduaras willing to accommodate you.

If your main purpose is to seek Waheguru's blessing, as you have stated, then the only person it involves is you. In Sikh philosophy Waheguru is not some entity out there. Waheguru is inside and around you. The only entity in this universe and beyond is Waheguru - nothing else exists. In fact you are Waheguru. You are the guruduara, you are Amritsar. Our soul is absolute, incorruptible, ocean of consciousness which we call God. Root of our problems is our mind. Everything we perceive and experience is through our mind. Mind takes on the properties of whatever it interacts with. When our mind is facing outwards towards maya it falls into attachments and causes us to suffer. When our mind is facing inwards towards our soul it calms down and moves towards one-ness and eventually disappears into soul/God. The only real thing is soul. Mind and the universe are illusions created by soul for its own play. The blessing of Waheguru is self-awareness and the path towards self-awareness. This blessing is granted to us in the form of Guru, the Gurbani. If you are truly seeking Waheguru's blessing start by reading Gurbani, understanding Gurbani and then following Gurbani.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh
IJJSingh
Active Forum User

Postby Sonikudi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Can anyone tell me if they do sindoor ceremony in Gurdwara
Sonikudi
New User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:55 pm

Superstar wrote:When you people don't believe in or practice Guru Granth Sahib's teachings. Why marry in front of Guru Granth Sahib? When is this hypocrisy going to stop? You already got your marriage registered, it is done. Gurbani wasn't written to do circles around, it was written to read, understand, practice and implement.

Also, Akaal Takht has issued edict stating that marriages can only be between Sikh and Sikh. Sikh rehat maryada is also very clear on this.

http://www.sgpc.net to read the rehat maryada (code of conduct).

Rightly said. If people want to get married in A Sikh Gurdwara in line with Sikh traditions and are talking of a religion, because of a religion and for a religion then both of them are supposed to be Sikhs. Or, non-Sikh partner should be asked to formally embrace Sikhism if couple want to get married in Sikh Gurdwara or civil/court marriage would suffice for inter-faith couples. No offense intended but there is no suitable word other than hypocrisy if I want to eat the cake and also have it. Thanks.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:02 pm

no sandhoor ceremony in gurdwara at all
swarn bains
Power User

Postby rjosan » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:09 pm

I agree that one should get married in Gurdwara only if one truly believes in tenets of Sikhism. I did not understand everything fully in past and when I heard they don't allow Anand Karaj at the marriage palaces because of alcohol being served there, I thought why cause inconvenience to everyone for having to go to two places. But I think they are right in drawing some lines and saying what they want and making rules. And one should support them so that they can maintain those rules, otherwise with time they have to compromise which is not good.
rjosan
New User

Return to Questions and Answers