Name for our son

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Name for our son

Postby msingh55 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Sat Siri Akal

We are first time parents and we are in the process of naming our son. We went to the gurdwara and the letter we got was R. It is extremely important to us that the name we chose be a Sikh name. One of the names we have selected is Raushan. There are a few ways to spell it and we are open to all options. Is Raushan a Sikh name? If yes, is there a reference to it in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib?

Thank you
msingh55
New User

Re: Name for our son

Postby Biriabc » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:45 pm

WJKK
WJKF

Congratulations on the birth of your son and may the Waheguru always bless him with Gursikhi, health and happiness

Yes Raushan is a Sikh name; in fact one of my uncles had the same name.

English translation of ਰੌਸ਼ਨ is bright or famous

Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia, indicates that the origin of the word is Farsi [i.e. Persian] and means
ਚਮਕਦਾ ਹੋਇਆ, ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸ਼ਯੁਕ੍ਤ। (2) ਪ੍ਰਸਿੱਧ, ਜਾਹਿਰ= ਪ੍ਰਗਟ, ਪ੍ਰਤੱਖ

The word ਰੌਸ਼ਨ as such is not present in SGGS.

Gur Fateh
Biriabc
Active Forum User

Postby msingh55 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:55 am

Thank you for your best wishes for our son. Is Roshan a Sikh name? If yes is it found in the Siri Guru Granth Sahib?
msingh55
New User

Postby Biriabc » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:44 pm

WJJK
WJKF

Roshan is just a variation in spelling of Raushan and yes it is a Sikh name. No, it is not in Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

In my opinion Roshan is a better spelling. One could say that with a name like Roshan, your son will illuminate the world with the brightness of Gursikhi and his virtuous deeds.

Gur Fateh
Biriabc
Active Forum User

Postby rjosan » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 am

I was thinking if our names describe everything about us, as if name is a true exact real identity description of someone's entire existence. In that sense people are named what God wants them to be named as the mind is controlled by God, so they will only think of a name that God wants them to think of.
rjosan
New User

Return to Questions and Answers