Fish Oil for health benefits...

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Fish Oil for health benefits...

Postby Stas » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!
Waheguru Ji Kee Fateh!

I started being interested in Sikhism around 3 years ago, after moving to Australia for studying, and getting acquainted with Sikhs over there. Around 2 yeas ago I decided to become a vegetarian due to the Sikh's teachings and disagreement with animal cruelty. However, It is known that becoming a vegetarian has a detrimental effect on the vitamins concentration in the body. After sometime I started noticing reduction in my mental and physical performance and also started getting tired more often . However, the same thing is happening with my other friend who is a Sikh and has been vegetarian all his life. It was advised after visiting a doctor that we should consume fish oil. This is where the great dilemma is coming from. On one hand having fish oil it is like also consuming fish. In other words, fish is being killed to provide fish oil to people. We can justify that though, by saying that we don not participate in killing fish and just get a final product. However, the same then can be said about eating meet, which kills the whole purpose of being vegetarian.

The question is, can a Sikh consume Fish Oil due to the health issues or for health benefits? Does it contradicts with Sikhism's values and morals?

Really appreciate someone's knowledgeable and well justified opinion on that.
Thank you!
Stas
New User

Re: Fish Oil for health benefits...

Postby gurmail » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:42 pm

Have you considered plant based alternatives to omega3 oil? Vitamin D can be obtained from sunshine.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Postby swarn bains » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 pm

yes you can
swarn bains
Power User

Postby Singh2000 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:11 pm

Yes, You can consume fish oil for health benefits.
Singh2000
Active Forum User

Postby Bundha » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:18 pm

No you cannot. Fish oil is fish. Try plant based alternatives.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby Still Learning » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:35 pm

try flexseed, it has same benefit as fish oil. it has omega 3 and 6
Still Learning
New User

Postby star-lord » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:36 am

No man, fish oil is fish oil...and unless you're in a situation of life and death, I'd count it as cheating.

Why not move to Japan next? There, people who consume fish and other seafood are still considered to be vegetarians.
star-lord
New User

Postby Superstar » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:48 am

It is fine to take fish oil for health. There is nothing wrong with it. Gurmat doesn't ban use of animal products. Everything has life and everything dies at some point. If fish died for you, good for fish to come in handy for someone else. Take the supplements and be healthy.

http://www.sgpc.net

You can check the official Sikh Rehat Maryada (code of conduct) and it doesn't say anywhere that you can't consume animal products. Only thing banned is halal which is due to animal killed on name of religion as offering to someone and/or animals killed using cruel methods.
Superstar
Active Forum User

Return to Questions and Answers