On Doing Business

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

On Doing Business

Postby amar20 » Thu May 28, 2015 4:46 am

Sat Sri Akal,
I have a question that has been bothering me for sometime. I want to know if doing any business is a way of honest living since the only way one can make money in business is by ripping someone off. I mean where do we draw the line of how much profit one should make from his business ? And, if the businessman is charging a higher price than what it actually costs him, is it honest living ? And what about the employees, specially in India where there is no minimum wage ? What about the concept of equal pay for equal work ?

Thank You

Hope to hear some replies.

Waheguru
amar20
New User

Re: On Doing Business

Postby swarn bains » Thu May 28, 2015 6:44 am

second guru of sikhs was a businessman. business is as honest as anything else anyone says. generally 20 percent profit over the cost is a reasonable and honest. now you have expenses, employee pay, utilities, rent etc. so after all the4se expenses if a person makes 10 percent profit. it is very honest. because you are spending your money , time and do every effort to make it a success. so do it. if you want 100 percent profit then it may be too much, but without profit no business survives. there is no harm doing business and making profit.
swarn bains
Power User

Postby singhbj » Thu May 28, 2015 10:59 am

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Talking about Equal Opportunity, Gurbani says khatri, brahman, shudar, vaish are given same sermon that only through Naam you can swim across Kalyug. So it really doesn't matter whether you are a businessman or service class, both can be honest or corrupt. Have seen businessmen giving regular Dasvand & servicemen who never bother so whose right n whose wrong ?

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
singhbj
Power User

Postby amar20 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:19 am

Thank You for answering my question.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
amar20
New User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:18 pm

amar20 wrote:Sat Sri Akal,
I have a question that has been bothering me for sometime. I want to know if doing any business is a way of honest living since the only way one can make money in business is by ripping someone off. I mean where do we draw the line of how much profit one should make from his business ? And, if the businessman is charging a higher price than what it actually costs him, is it honest living ? And what about the employees, specially in India where there is no minimum wage ? What about the concept of equal pay for equal work ?

Thank You

Hope to hear some replies.

Waheguru

Business in simplest terms is to provide service to fulfill the need of needy using tann, mann and dhan[body, mind and money].
To do that one has to be capable by tann, mann and dhan which are inseparably linked to each other.
So it is as simple as anything that service provider has to maintain his own tann, mann and dhan to provide service/s.
As such service provider has to charge beneficiary/ies of his service to keep him capable of keep providing services for which he would need money therefrom good mind and body and other way around as these three are inter-linked.

It is over or unreasonable or illegitimate charging towards services provided, which is wrong or a sin.
Thanks.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Return to Questions and Answers