dyeing/ bleaching hair

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

dyeing/ bleaching hair

Postby Harinder-Singh-Rathore » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:18 pm

satsriakal,
i am 15 years old and i have not cut my hair ever but i want to dye my hair and want to know if it is allowed to i am not an amritdhari. ive heard that you may need to bleach your hair sometimes to dye it and if you bleach your hair then you hair can break off so this is where i get stuck since i caused the breaking off of my hair but the same thing happens when i comb my hair and would like a response.
Harinder-Singh-Rathore
New User

Re: dyeing/ bleaching hair

Postby IJJSingh » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:41 pm

Bhai Harinder Singh ji,

To my knowledge there is no reference in SGGS which deals with dyeing or bleaching hair. There is an indirect reference in Sikh Rehat Maryada Article XVI.i " A Sikh should, in no way, harbour any antipathy to the hair of the head with which his child is born. He should not tamper with the hair with which the child is born."

The Guru has covered topics of primary importance to a Sikh and the Guru's message is timeless. Rehat Maryada has been prepared by sangat to provide further guidance. Some people liken Rehat maryada to a fence to safeguard the crop of Sikhism. First and foremost we have to keep our focus on the crop (i.e. reading and following gurbani). Fence is valuable but only for those who are growing a crop. A beautiful fence without a crop is useless. If you are not already doing so, please make gurbani your priority.

Prescriptive instructions about how to live our life can become problematic under the test of time and circumstances. The Guru has avoided such prescriptive instructions, instead he has given us a framework for judging whether or not something is good for us.

ਬਾਰੰ ਬਾਰ ਮਾਇਆ ਤੇ ਅਟਕੈ ਲੈ ਨਰਜਾ ਮਨੁ ਤੋਲੈ ਦੇਵ ॥
Time and time again, he must hold himself back from Maya; let him take the scale of the Lord, and weigh his mind. || (SGGS 857)

You need to evaluate your own motives for dyeing your hair. If this action is neutral or if it will bring you closer to God then do it, if it will move you closer to maya then avoid it.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh
IJJSingh
Active Forum User

Re: dyeing/ bleaching hair

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:56 pm

WJKK WJKF,

Here is a quote from SGGS Ang 659 about styling your hair and that it is :

ਬੰਕੇ ਬਾਲ ਪਾਗ ਸਿਰਿ ਡੇਰੀ ॥
Banke bāl pāg sir derī.
You make your hair beautiful, and wear a stylish turban on your head.

ਇਹੁ ਤਨੁ ਹੋਇਗੋ ਭਸਮ ਕੀ ਢੇਰੀ ॥੩॥
Ih ṯan ho▫igo bẖasam kī dẖerī. ||3||
But in the end, this body shall be reduced to a pile of ashes. ||3||

The quote is essentially saying that meditating on GOD and winning this game of life (to meet GOD) should be our goal and that is what we should strive for as focusing on your hair/turban style etc is futile in the end and will not help you reach GOD/win this game.

WJKK WJKF.
Please forgive any mistakes I may have made.

Harinder-Singh-Rathore wrote:satsriakal,
i am 15 years old and i have not cut my hair ever but i want to dye my hair and want to know if it is allowed to i am not an amritdhari. ive heard that you may need to bleach your hair sometimes to dye it and if you bleach your hair then you hair can break off so this is where i get stuck since i caused the breaking off of my hair but the same thing happens when i comb my hair and would like a response.

Homemade tips for healthy hairs

Postby NashikFame » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:39 am

Hair is the richest ornament of women. Women with beautiful hair don’t need anything other than her hair to adore herself. Keeping your hairs always beautiful is easily possible. Honestly maintaining its beauty forever is bit difficult. Many of us spend lots of money and time to cure hair from damages by experimenting with different chemicals, colours and many more. Everything is just for having gorgeous hairs “naturally”.

How frequently we think “Why our hairs are not so healthy”?

If we want perfect hair, we need to think on it more. There are various reasons behind damaged hairs such as Hair Styling, Harmful Chemicals, Harsh Weather Condition, Friction etc. Then our primary stage is to visit hair experts and follow their suggestion but we can be a perfect guide for our self to cure our hairs.
[url]
http://www.nashikfame.com/beauty/hair/h ... wth-tonic/
[/url]
NashikFame
New User

Return to Questions and Answers