Need help to decide should I follow my passion or just leave

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Need help to decide should I follow my passion or just leave

Postby kunwarsingh2102 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:58 pm

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki fateh,
I am an amart dhari Sikh. I live in India. I am studying in final year engineering. I am a passionate gamer(i.e playing computer games) . Playing computer games have affected my grades for past 2 years. I play only a single game called DotA 2. I wish to be a professional in that game. I know it's tuff especially in India and also when you don't have your parents support. To any one who doesn't know anything about it, I would like to tell that it's similar to a sport that I wish to play. It is a team game. I have played that game for about 1800+ hour. Now I am thinking to go abroad i.e to US or Canada for my master in computer engineering. I just want to know that shall I keep playing the game or just stop it. It is criminal waste of time my parents think so. I have sacrifice a lot. Not hanging out with friends. Playing the game each time I get opportunity to. Manage college. Listen to parents scolding each day. I just need your suggestions as to what shall I do? Shall I quit? Shall I play for fun?
Due to these things I have become a kind of anti-social. Since I don't get much time to practice with managing college. I am yet a long way to go for becoming more better in that game. I don't have any team or anything yet. Did not participate in any tournament till now. Please help thanks.
kunwarsingh2102
New User

Re: Need help to decide should I follow my passion or just l

Postby suji singh » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:04 pm

Short answer: You know the answer or you should find it without help.

First, ask yourself how will you support yourself if you keep on being engrossed in this game?

Second, you let your grades suffer because of your devotion to this game which university in US will accept you?

Programming computers to produce games is different from playing computer games. Bottom line, you are addicted at the detriment of the rest. One reaps what one sows. Good luck.
suji singh
Power User

Postby cloud » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:58 am

kunwarsingh2102 wrote:Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki fateh,
I am an amart dhari Sikh. I live in India. I am studying in final year engineering. I am a passionate gamer(i.e playing computer games) . Playing computer games have affected my grades for past 2 years. I play only a single game called DotA 2. I wish to be a professional in that game. I know it's tuff especially in India and also when you don't have your parents support. To any one who doesn't know anything about it, I would like to tell that it's similar to a sport that I wish to play. It is a team game. I have played that game for about 1800+ hour. Now I am thinking to go abroad i.e to US or Canada for my master in computer engineering. I just want to know that shall I keep playing the game or just stop it. It is criminal waste of time my parents think so. I have sacrifice a lot. Not hanging out with friends. Playing the game each time I get opportunity to. Manage college. Listen to parents scolding each day. I just need your suggestions as to what shall I do? Shall I quit? Shall I play for fun?
Due to these things I have become a kind of anti-social. Since I don't get much time to practice with managing college. I am yet a long way to go for becoming more better in that game. I don't have any team or anything yet. Did not participate in any tournament till now. Please help thanks.

Well I can only talk with my own experiance. As a gamer addict myself, playing video games in 19 years. You should know by now that Video games or internet stimulants in general, we use them to cope to diffrent holes in our heart and soul.

Who would want to live in in Kalyug when you can live as a Dota 2 hero in Virtual Reality with your Occolus Rift?
More information about kalyug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU_5WFb2oUk

How do you heal the holes in your heart? We'll to start with let's talk about this addicition.

First thing, don't go cold-turkey. Otherwise you'll get very heavy withdrawal symptoms like: Anger, depression, no hunger no feel of sleep. Just turn the ours down. Now I know that a Dota 2 match can vary very heavily between 25-60 minutes. Just cut down number of matches a day gradually.

That said, now we must take care of the holes in your heart. 2 good ways to go is first Japji Sahib in the morning before school, (or in the bus towards it.) And then there is this meditation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Xmwwdbj_c
The song he talks about is this one:
http://www.sikhnet.com/gurbani/audio/guru-guru-wahe-guru-4

Then there are alot of good threads in the internet about quitting dota 2. Here is a good example.
http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/1w2jk6/dota_2_ruining_my_life_and_i_cant_quit_anything/
I have studied addiction counselling, and can offer some basic advice.
First of all, as already mentioned here, the specific behaviour (in this case playing DOTA2) is a symptom, not the cause. If you quit this, there's a high chance you will pick up something else and it could be more destructive.
There's an underlying cause here. Are you trying to get away from something? Do you need a way to waste time? I played many games, and some of them unhealthily; WoW was a great example of that - I played it to get away from no money, forget my depression, try and forget my responsibilities, ignore the stress of school... it was an escape. Nowadays, I find myself wasting time with "games"/"internet" because I don't like where my life is and I don't want to go back to it. I don't look forward to tomorrow, or the next year, because of things that suck. I'm aware of it and I have hopes and dreams, but some days are harder than others. It's not easy to find the cause, and it's even harder to do something about it. But know that it exists, and look for it.
As to what to do... you need people around you. Talk to others - your friends, your mother, your grandfather, your teacher (if in school/uni/college). Just talk about it, how it upsets you, how you have problems with it. I would also recommend seeking out counselling, but be aware of limitations - video game addiction is new, and addiction counsellors are regretfully commonly poorly educated.
Go here: /r/redditorsinrecovery/ and here /r/StopGaming; they have been where you are
Good luck; let me know if I can help

Good luck

/Cloud
cloud
New User

Postby kunwarsingh2102 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:46 am

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
This reply is after long time. I finished my studies(Bachelor in Computer Science) and came to New Jersey, USA for my further studies at New Jersey Institute Of Technology. With Guru Maharaj's Kirpa I am doing very good. I also was blessed with Sangat here. They love me a lot and I don't game anymore.
kunwarsingh2102
New User

Return to Questions and Answers