Playing cards a wrong habit why?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Playing cards a wrong habit why?

Postby AmanpreetSingh » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:10 am

WJKK WJKF

I have frequently heard that playing cards is a wrong habit.Can anyone tell me the reason(not forjooaa but for geaneral games)?
Thankyou
Will be very grateful

Amnpreet Singh
AmanpreetSingh
Active Forum User

Re: Playing cards a wrong habit why?

Postby vikramjit gurufateh singh » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Fateh Ji,

As long as you don't gamble I don't think it bad. I recall when I was young we used to play card games like 'bluff' and 'Bhabo'.

Having said this I feel one should not play the card gambling games like Rummy, Flash, Poker etc. As today one may just play for fun (points) but tomorrow this could lead to gambling.

Many consider cards as a waste of time. As a game it doesn't provide you with any exercise..... neither mental (apart from Bridge) or physical.

Guru Rakha
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Postby AmanpreetSingh » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:24 am

WJKK WJKF

Thank you Veer ji for your reply.
Thankyou ji again

Amanpreet Singh
AmanpreetSingh
Active Forum User

Postby Amandeepsingh999 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:03 am

WJKK WJKF

HI, Can I play poker if I want to become a professional poker player?
Also poker is nowadays considered as a sport in eastern part of the world as well and is nowhere related to gambling.
Can someone guide me via gurmat and not his/her own individual mat ( by this i mean mentioning words of guruji ) that if I understand poker and want to pursue it as a carrier, considering losses as one would consider in any business, should I go for it?
Also I am a firm believer that after a certain age one should earn not just for himself but also for the society and its welfare which can be easily achieved in this sport.

Also company was a major concern for me because of which i refrained myself to enter into this sport but similar is the case in the so called corporate world today.
Can someone please help me out.

Regards,
Amandeepsingh999
New User

Postby Bundha » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:28 pm

I think card games is synonymous with gambling. I remember when I was a wee lad and playing cards was frowned upon even though we played kiddies games. I thing back in India cards was linked to gambling dens and only layabouts and people down the bottom of the ladder played them.

Isn't Poker linked to gambling ? Remember seeing most cowboys playing Poker for money.
Gurbani warns us of gambing and the company it keeps.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Return to Questions and Answers